Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,853   Online: 903

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak D-158 and D-173 for Velox

Looking through some old Kodak formulary booklets my father has. These formulas are from a 1944 booklet which seems to be from the Kodak Research Laboratories in the U.K.

D-158 "Velox"

Described as a developer to produce blue-black tones on Velox and other "gaslight" papers. I believe Velox paper inherently tended toward cold/blue-black tones, but maybe this may still be worth trying with current papers (as it is similar to D-72 and not an exotic formula), perhaps adding some Benzotriazole for additional restraint if fogging occurs. Superficially it appears to be a slightly more active version of D-72 with less bromide.

3.2g Elon* (Metol)
    50.0g Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)
    13.3g Hydroquinone
    69.0g Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous)
    0.9g Potassium Bromide
    -----
    1L

Instructions were to dilute 1+1, with development times of 30-40s at 65F (18C).

*Interestingly Kodak actually describes Elon as "a specially purified form of monomethyl p-aminophenol sulfate and is also known under other trade names, such as "Metol", "Genol", etc.". I read this to mean Elon, Metol, etc. are all specially purified forms of the compound. So I'm not sure there is anything special about Elon per se.

D-173

Described as a substitute for D-158 without Elon for people "suffering from Metol dermatitis". I find this a little confusing since my understanding is the allergic reaction to Metol is due to an impurity, but Metol (or at least Elon) is supposed to be highly purified as per Kodak's definition (above). In any case...

22.5g Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)
    65.0g Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous)
    0.375g p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride
    7.5g Hydroquinone
    0.15g Potassium Bromide
    ------
    1L

Instructions were to dilute 1+1, with development times of 35-45s at 65F (18C).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Has anyone found a version of the Kodak Ektonal? Its MQ with sodium hydroxide for warm tones, no carbonate I think. I have a limited supply and thinking hard about trying to reverse engineer it but a starting point would be good. Its in two package, one is obviously sodium Hydroxide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Thanks for the additional info, Ian. Regarding the different traditions, it seems generally speaking the north American market moved over to fine grain/solvent formulas earlier than Europe. Apparently Kodak HDD was never even marketed in the U.S. This particular formulary includes D-163, D-159 "Kodurol" (Glycin)-Hydroquinone, and quite a few Pyro film developers. The only fine grain formulas listed are D-76, D-76d, and DK-20 (and DK-50 if we include that as a fine grain developer). This formulary (June 1944) would have been only slightly too early for D-23 and D-25. Interesting stuff to read.

Also I hadn't heard "Dolmi" before (Kodak's word for Amidol)..
    In general Kodak (and the US) actually lagged behind Europe where fine grain and extra/super fine grain developers were introduced much earlier. Hans Windisch published fine grain developers in 1938, Ilfords ID-44 was also pre WWII *and so Dk-20) and Johnsons Meritol based fine grain range had been available for a while. In the US it was Lowe and to a lesser extent Champlin who prompted research into fine grain developers.

Kodak Ltd (UK) branded many products in the UKin the 30's & 40's, Kodesko, Kodatol (DK20) etc but seem to drop them after WWII. See page 3 of the 1944 Formulary.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin