Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,776   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak D-158 and D-173 for Velox

Looking through some old Kodak formulary booklets my father has. These formulas are from a 1944 booklet which seems to be from the Kodak Research Laboratories in the U.K.

D-158 "Velox"

Described as a developer to produce blue-black tones on Velox and other "gaslight" papers. I believe Velox paper inherently tended toward cold/blue-black tones, but maybe this may still be worth trying with current papers (as it is similar to D-72 and not an exotic formula), perhaps adding some Benzotriazole for additional restraint if fogging occurs. Superficially it appears to be a slightly more active version of D-72 with less bromide.

3.2g Elon* (Metol)
    50.0g Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)
    13.3g Hydroquinone
    69.0g Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous)
    0.9g Potassium Bromide
    -----
    1L

Instructions were to dilute 1+1, with development times of 30-40s at 65F (18C).

*Interestingly Kodak actually describes Elon as "a specially purified form of monomethyl p-aminophenol sulfate and is also known under other trade names, such as "Metol", "Genol", etc.". I read this to mean Elon, Metol, etc. are all specially purified forms of the compound. So I'm not sure there is anything special about Elon per se.

D-173

Described as a substitute for D-158 without Elon for people "suffering from Metol dermatitis". I find this a little confusing since my understanding is the allergic reaction to Metol is due to an impurity, but Metol (or at least Elon) is supposed to be highly purified as per Kodak's definition (above). In any case...

22.5g Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)
    65.0g Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous)
    0.375g p-Aminophenol Hydrochloride
    7.5g Hydroquinone
    0.15g Potassium Bromide
    ------
    1L

Instructions were to dilute 1+1, with development times of 35-45s at 65F (18C).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a few Kodak Ltd (UK) developers not included in similar Eastman Kodak publications or the same era, some sold in packaged form commercially. D72 wasn't available in the UK in1944 or when I first began serious photography in the late 1960's instead we had D163 in Europe as a Universal negative and paper developer.

D158 Velox developer superseded the earlier Nepera-Velox developer which Koak published in 1905.

The Nepera Velox formula - as published by Eastman Kodak in 1905 is:

Hydroquinone 2 g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 7 g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 13g
    Metol 0.5 g
    Potassium Bromide 10% 40 drops
    Water to 300 ml

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do you have any experience with this developer, Ian? Or do you have any descriptions on how it acts on papers? Just curious and thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The D-158 formula looks broadly similar to the (Defender/DuPont) 54-D formula , which I have taken to using for the small amount of basic printing I do. Although 54-D dilution is usually given as 1+2 rather than 1+1

On the basic RC papers I use (MGIV, Kentmere VC, Fotospeed RCVC) 54-D produces a "blue" black that I find very pleasing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are fairly basic print developers but Silver Chloride based Contact papers like Velox & Ilford Selo required much less Bromide in the developer. Used with a Bromide or Cloro-bromide paper these will give colder tones than a developer like D72/Dektol.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I still have some Velox. I usually develop it in D-72 which gives a distinct blue cast to the shadows.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An interesting thing in this particular formulary I'm quoting from, is that D-72 is described as a rapid, high contrast developer for films and plates, without any reference to papers. At one time D-72 was intended (I think) as a "universal" developer for films and papers, and then later of course Dektol became known primarily as a standard paper developer, but I didn't realize there was a time (or place) when/where D-72 was listed as a film/plate developer without reference to paper. Perhaps some formulas were described differently by Kodak depending on whether the publication originated in the U.S. or U.K.?

Another curious thing about the D-72 formula given in this publication is it differs slightly from the later versions I've seen (in Haist, Anchell, etc.). In this formulary booklet Metol is 3.1g (vs 3g) and bromide is 1.9g (vs 2g). Perhaps this is merely a matter of rounding and/or significant digits (the D-72 formula in Haist is in grams with no decimals). But it suggests Anchell's version (which shows precision to tenths of a gram) may not be precisely correct. Or maybe the formula simply changed slightly at some point.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thread marked . TY, Michael R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    An interesting thing in this particular formulary I'm quoting from, is that D-72 is described as a rapid, high contrast developer for films and plates, without any reference to papers. At one time D-72 was intended (I think) as a "universal" developer for films and papers, and then later of course Dektol became known primarily as a standard paper developer, but I didn't realize there was a time (or place) when/where D-72 was listed as a film/plate developer without reference to paper. Perhaps some formulas were described differently by Kodak depending on whether the publication originated in the U.S. or U.K.?

Another curious thing about the D-72 formula given in this publication is it differs slightly from the later versions I've seen (in Haist, Anchell, etc.). In this formulary booklet Metol is 3.1g (vs 3g) and bromide is 1.9g (vs 2g). Perhaps this is merely a matter of rounding and/or significant digits (the D-72 formula in Haist is in grams with no decimals). But it suggests Anchell's version (which shows precision to tenths of a gram) may not be precisely correct. Or maybe the formula simply changed slightly at some point.

Some Kodak formulae were rounded up/down to the nearest gram (or half gram) in some Kodak publications because few amateurs had scales capable of measuring fractions of a gram. Anchell's version is correct as is the Harrow Formulary they are the commercially made formula.

D72 wasn't sold in the UK until quite late I can't remember when it was first available it was years before I heard of Dektol probably the mid 1980's, we had D163 instead which I remember using a few times in the late 1960's.

If you look through the Harrow publication you'll see a few products not sold in the US like Kodinol the Kodak version of Rodinal, D163, I'm not sure if HDD is mentioned that early. There were slightly different traditions in photography in Europe to the US which had an effect on what products were sold.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 12-22-2013 at 04:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the additional info, Ian. Regarding the different traditions, it seems generally speaking the north American market moved over to fine grain/solvent formulas earlier than Europe. Apparently Kodak HDD was never even marketed in the U.S. This particular formulary includes D-163, D-159 "Kodurol" (Glycin)-Hydroquinone, and quite a few Pyro film developers. The only fine grain formulas listed are D-76, D-76d, and DK-20 (and DK-50 if we include that as a fine grain developer). This formulary (June 1944) would have been only slightly too early for D-23 and D-25. Interesting stuff to read.

Also I hadn't heard "Dolmi" before (Kodak's word for Amidol).
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 12-23-2013 at 04:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin