Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,661   Online: 736

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Developer DK-93 For Films, Plates, and Papers

Kodak Developer DK-93

Kodelon: For Films, Plates, and Papers

Water, about 125F (50C)----------------------------------500ml
    Kodelon (p-aminophenol oxalate)---------------------------------5 grams
    Sodium Sulfite anhydrous------------------------------------30 grams
    Hydroquinone-----------------------------------------------2.5 grams
    Kodalk (Sodium Metaborate)---------------------------------20 grams
    Potassium Bromide------------------------------------------0.5 gram
    Cold water to make-----------------------------------------1 liter

Use without dilution. Develop roll films about 9 minutes in a tank of fresh developer at 68F (20C)

For warm tones on papers, use without dilution and develop for 2 minutes at 68F (20C).

For colder tones, double the quantity of Kodalk; use without dilution and develop 1-2 minutes at 68F (20C).
    In either case, the tones given by the developer are slightly warmer than the normal tones given by Kodak Developers D-52 (Selectol) and D-72 (Dektol)

Source: Kodak Data Book on Formulas and processing, Third Edition, 1946

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Comments from the previous article system:

By Tom Hoskinson - 11:26 PM, 04-15-2006 Edit Rating: None
    Kodelon is p-aminophenol oxalate Other forms of p-aminophenol should work as well. See Pat Gainer's Apug posts on this subject.
    By Gerald Koch - 03:17 PM, 04-19-2006 Edit Rating: None
    Kodelon was paraminophenol hemioxalate so some adjustment would have to be made for the difference in molecular weights if you substitute pap or pap.HCl. The mol wts of pap, hydrochloric and oxalic acids are 109.1, 36.46, and 126.7 respectively
    By Tom Hoskinson - 05:11 PM, 04-19-2006 Edit Rating: None
    Thanks for the additional information, Gerald. Can you supply your source?
    By gainer - 02:30 AM, 04-20-2006 Edit Rating: None
    I'm not familiar with the hemioxalate salt. If it was used simply to make the p-aminophenol more solubile in water, the p-aminophenol base will probably be a little more active for the same weight than either the hydrochloride or the oxalate. I would imagine the character of the developer would be similar in any case. The base may not dissolve completely until after the Kodalk and sulfite are added.

It's reminiscent of DK-50, is it not?
    By Tom Hoskinson - 03:53 AM, 04-20-2006 Edit Rating: None
    Yes Pat, Very reminiscent of DK-50, and of DK 60-a as well ...

http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=78
    By Tom Hoskinson - 11:52 PM, 04-21-2006 Edit Rating: None
    Ansco/Agfa (GAF) 48M and 17M are very similar to Kodak DK-50 and Kodak DK 60-a
    By nworth - 01:56 AM, 04-22-2006 Edit Rating: None
    The description seems similar to the old Kodak Versatol. Are the two related?
    By Tom Hoskinson - 06:41 AM, 04-23-2006 Edit Rating: None
    nworth, the evidence I have indicates to me that Versatol is indeed related to Kodak Universal M-Q Developer, DK-50, DK 60a, D-72 and similar Kodak M-Q developers. The third edition of the Kodak Data Book on Formulas and Processing (1946) lists Kodak Versatol as Concentrated liquid universal developer for film, plates and papers. No formula is given for Versatol. Kodak Universal M-Q Developer is described as Convenient packet developer developer for film, plates and papers. No Formula is given for Kodak Universal M-Q Developer.
    By Tom Hoskinson - 06:54 AM, 04-23-2006 Edit Rating: None
    I have found the answer to my question about Kodelon in my own personal library. Elementary Photographic Chemistry, Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, N.Y., 1928: States on Page 18: Para-AMINOPHENOL OXALATE is manufactured and sold by the Eastman Kodak Company under the name of Kodelon.
    By Gerald Koch - 03:08 PM, 04-24-2006 Edit Rating: None
    Kodak Universal MQ is what was supplied in Kodak's Tri-Chem Pack.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think Gerald Koch's calculation for the molecular weight of 4-aminophenol hydrochloride may be off. The http://www.sciencelab.com site gives it as 145.59. I think the 109.1 is right for the base. I don't know the formula for the oxalate so I have no comment on the weight for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't supply the MW for paraminophenol hydrochloride. What I gave were the MW's for pap, hydrochloric acid, and oxalic acid. I left it for others to make the calculations if they wished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak published this formula with Para-aminophenol Hydrochloride in Kodak UK publications. They sold Para-aminophenol Hydrochloride under their trade name Kodenol in the US.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin