Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,007   Online: 742

Shooter
    Multi Format

PC130 Variation on Ansco 130

Sandy King posted a recent bit to the Black and White Forum expressing a curiosity about glycin based developers and about glycin combined with ascorbic acid in developers. He got the usual collection of replies and formulae, none of which really addressed the inquiry very well. I got thinking about the subject, however, and I decided to try a few things. My first experiments were directed at Ansco 130 print developer. This well known formula is noted for its neutral tones and excellent gradation on most papers. One of my experiments produced a print developer worth sharing with you.

PC130:

Water (52C) 750 ml
    Sodium sulfite (anh) 50 g
    Ascorbic acid 18 g
    Sodium carbonate (mono) 78 g
    Phenidone 500 mg
    Glycin 11 g
    Potassium bromide 5.5 g
    Water to make 1 l

pH (measured) = 10.1

This looks a lot different than Ansco 130, but it is really very close to the original formula. Ascorbic acid replaces hydroquinone in about an equi-molar proportion, and phenidone replaces metol. It was interesting that the amount of sodium carbonate did not have to be adjusted to compensate for the acidity of the ascorbic acid. The buffering effect of the large amount of carbonate is obviously excellent. Phenidone is not quite as superadditive with ascorbic acid or glycin as it is with hydroquinone, and the amount was adjusted accordingly. In experiments with E-72 some years ago, I found that the highlights tended to be harsh and lacking in detail. I was hoping that the glycin and the additional phenidone would help correct that problem.

The developer was diluted 1 + 1 for use, and the prints were developed for two and one half minutes. Three papers were tried: Forma Variant 312, Ilford Multigrade IV RC, and Kodak Polymax II RC. In addition to regular prints, I printed a step tablet and compared the curves produced by Ansco 130 and the new developer.

Based on emergence times, the PC130 appears to be considerably more active than Ansco 130, but it gives slightly slower paper speeds. The difference is about a third of a stop for the Forma paper, nearly a quarter stop for the Ilford, and almost none for the Kodak.

Except for the speed difference, the curves for the Ilford and Kodak papers are nearly identical for the two developers. The Kodak paper shows a somewhat smoother toe. The Forma paper showed considerable differences, which are also apparent in the prints. In Ansco 130, the Forma paper had a very long toe with a sharp break to the staightline portion. In the new developer, the sharp break between the toe and the straghtline portion is gone, and the toe is smoother. Highlight contrast is noticeably increased. Dmax is also greater.

The preliminary prints show little difference between Ansco 130 and PC130. PC130 may actually have slightly better gradation. The highlights are a bit smoother and have a bit more contrast. The midtones and shadows retain the qualities of Ansco 130. Image tone is almost identical. PC130 definitely has potential as a fine print developer. I have not made any effort to optimize PC130. Some things to try in the future:

1. Decrease the bromide, possibly substituting benzotriazole for some or all of it.
    2. Increase the glycin up to about 14 grams per liter.
    3. Decrease the pH slightly, maybe to about 9.9.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My little variation of 130 use 80g sodium carbonate and 15cc 1% benzotriazole solution instead of the bromide. I print on Ilford warmtone FB and I just love the combo. The high carbonate gives wonderful blacks...EC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ansco 130 has a reputation for very long life.
    I just wonder if your A. Acid version will be so
    long lived. Do you happen to know if glycin and
    phenidone and no other agent are a workable
    combination? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dancqu: I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be long lived, but the only way to really find out is to test it. Ascorbic acid is an anti-oxidant, and, if anything, it should inhibit any deterioration. I haven't tried it, but it should also be possible to mix this developer as two stock solutions, keeping the carbonate separate. This is a well known technique for extending the life of Ansco 130.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can see a reason it won't be long-lived: you're dissolving ascorbic acid in water. When I do that, activity is almost gone the next day, regardless of concentration or pH. You need tricks to keep ascorbic acid active in water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hey - where the hell can I GET glycin anyway....???? I looked on digitaltruth - and they've got a LOT of great stuff... but no glycin! Any leads? I was going to mix up some 130 just to try out...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    hey - where the hell can I GET glycin anyway....???? I looked on digitaltruth - and they've got a LOT of great stuff... but no glycin! Any leads? I was going to mix up some 130 just to try out...

Photographers Formulary is the only place you can get it -- that I know of. I've also found that tightly saled and kept in the freezer it will keep longer than most folks claim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mixed up some of this developer about a month ago and just got an opportunity to try it this past weekend. I made it without the sodium carbonate, and used it as a two-bath developer, with the carbonate in the second bath.

The developer worked just fine with Kentmere Bromide and Kentona papers. Both had a very cold, somewhat blue, tone.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    My little variation of 130 use 80g sodium carbonate and 15cc 1% benzotriazole solution instead of the bromide. I print on Ilford warmtone FB and I just love the combo. The high carbonate gives wonderful blacks...EC
    Thought I'd drop a note regarding this... I had been looking for something to make use of a large stash of FB WT Ilford that had disappointed me in my normal soups. This combo was exactly as you state. It really added some pizazz to this paper for me. The blacks are great with an interesting velvety finish and the highlights sparkle in a way that seems just right for this paper. I'm really glad to have stumbled into this one! Thanks!
    Craig Schroeder

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin