Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,151   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

J.W.Shaw - Hydroquinone p-Aminophenol Developer

Warm Toned Print developer. (Using Rodinal)

Solution A

Hydroquinone 16.7 g
    Sodium Sulphite 91 g
    Citric Acid 6.25 g
    Potassium Bromide 3.12 g
    Water to 1 litre

Solution B

Sodium Hydroxide 16.7 g
    Water to 1 litre

Solution C Potassium Bromide Solution 10% (!00 g/litre)

To Use:
    24 ml Soln A
    24 ml Soln B
    1 ml Rodinal (Agfa)
    12 ml Soln C
    100 ml Water

Originally formulated for lantern slides this developer works well with warm tone papers.

This is slightly different to the previously posted version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not too high for Warm tone papers though especually with that level of Hydroxide, after all Lith devs used for lith printing can contain even more Bromide

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Not too high for Warm tone papers though especually with that level of Hydroxide, after all Lith devs used for lith printing can contain even more Bromide

Ian
    I don't disagree. My original post referred to the use of modern chloride papers or high chloride papers which may not react well with this developer.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That high level of sulfite and high level of bromide might do some nasty things to modern chloride papers. IDK for sure, but I would suggest a test first. It would certainly be good with Bromide or Br/I materials.
    FWIW, I gave this formula a try today with three papers. My initial reason for trying it was that I've got some Kodak Polycontrast III RC paper purchased from Photo Warehouse a year or two ago that's in pretty bad shape. I was hoping that a different developer from my usual (Suzuki's DS-14) might help. It didn't, but the developer didn't work any worse than DS-14. I also used it with some fresh Ilford MG-IV and some old but useable Kodak Elite Fine Art S2, and it was fine with both of them.

I honestly don't know which, if any, of these are "modern chloride papers." The developer developed images on all the papers with no obvious problems, aside from those already noted with the Polycontrast III, and I've seen that with every developer I've tried it with. I believe this developer produced warmer tones with the Ilford, and maybe the Kodak Elite, than I see with DS-14, but the prints aren't yet completely dry and I've not yet done a side-by-side comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very good to know.

I was just putting up a precautionary note. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin