Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,330   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

J.W.Shaw - Hydroquinone p-Aminophenol Developer

Warm Toned Print developer. (Using Rodinal)

Solution A

Hydroquinone 16.7 g
    Sodium Sulphite 91 g
    Citric Acid 6.25 g
    Potassium Bromide 3.12 g
    Water to 1 litre

Solution B

Sodium Hydroxide 16.7 g
    Water to 1 litre

Solution C Potassium Bromide Solution 10% (!00 g/litre)

To Use:
    24 ml Soln A
    24 ml Soln B
    1 ml Rodinal (Agfa)
    12 ml Soln C
    100 ml Water

Originally formulated for lantern slides this developer works well with warm tone papers.

This is slightly different to the previously posted version.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

What's in the rodinal that makes it necessary to add to this developer mixture?

Jeroen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal is a concentrated developer containing p-Aminophenol. It's normally used diluted between 1+25 to 1+100. So in this case it's used in combination with Hydroquinone.

Using 2 developing agents together give additivity, usually it's Metol or Phenidone & Hyroquinone/Glycin/Pyrocatechin, but p-Aminophenol can be used instead and in this developer gives very fine grain which in a print causes greater warmth.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oke, that's interesting, thanks for clarifying!

Jeroen

Images
    I suppose one could use p-aminophenol directly, but the amount required to match the recipe would be so small as to be difficult to measure consistently. The amount of p-aminophenol in a liter of Rodinal stock is at most 100 grams, or at most 0.1 grams/ml. It's easier to measure a ml of liquid than 0.1 g of powder.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interestingly when this developer was formulated Rodinal & the Ilford equivalent Certinal were one of the recommended as Bromide paper developers, at 1+30 so it may have been very popular. After all most companies made a p-Aminophenoll equivalent, Kodak - Kodinol, May & Baker, Johnson's etc, just the same as D76 was made by every company 30 years later.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hmm. Why does the formula call for citric acid? Do you think I could subsitute Ascorbic Acid for the Hydroquinone, making a p-Aminophenol/Vit C warm tone paper developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That high level of sulfite and high level of bromide might do some nasty things to modern chloride papers. IDK for sure, but I would suggest a test first. It would certainly be good with Bromide or Br/I materials.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Hmm. Why does the formula call for citric acid? Do you think I could subsitute Ascorbic Acid for the Hydroquinone, making a p-Aminophenol/Vit C warm tone paper developer?
    Citric Acid is used in quite a few warm tone developers, so must serve a purpose so adding Ascorbic instead would probably have the wrong & possibly an opposite effect.

My Bible (L.P. Clerc) is still in the UK as it's rather heavy but I think he'd explain why it's used.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That high level of sulfite and high level of bromide might do some nasty things to modern chloride papers. IDK for sure, but I would suggest a test first. It would certainly be good with Bromide or Br/I materials.
    PE
    Once diluted the levels of Sulphite &b Bromide are more typical of other developers.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-03-2009 at 05:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

Sorry, it may seem that way. Look at the bromide though. That is over 1.2 g/ 100 ml of the mix. (12 ml of 10% = 1.2 grams in 100 ml + bromide in part A = 12+ grams in 1 L. of working solution).

For Sulfite it works out to about 22 grams of Sulfite / L coming from part A + the Rodinol contribution of about 5+ g/L at an estimate.

These just seem high to me for a paper developer. looks fine for a film developer though.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin