Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,508   Online: 847

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

HC110 made simple.

I thought I had posted this to the articles a long time ago, but I guess I didn't. So for the archives and the children, here it is.

I like Hc110. Especially for roll film. I don't like the convoluted "working
    solution" dilutions and sub dilutions, or the short times some of the dilutions
    and sub dilutions create. It should be simple to use Hc110, like Rodinal.

If you care to research, there was a method to Kodaks madness when they
    created the dilutions and routines for HC110, but they are of little
    convenience for the darkroom enthusiast. I get more questions about
    mixing and developing with HC110 than all other developers combined. It is
    a great developer that doesn't need to be complex in usage, so I concocted a
    metric dilution that goes by 50 (1+49) That means you use 1 ml of HC110 for
    every 49 ml of water in a direct from the concentrate dilution.

Here is how to use it on roll film in an inversion tank, like Rodinal:

First of all, forget about saving and replenishing it. Mix up what you need, use
    it, and dump it. It's so cheap under normal usage that saving it is fairly
    useless from a cost savings perspective, plus consistent performance is
    assured by using it one-shot.

Next, forget about an intermediate working solution. Mix it directly from the
    concentrate. Use a small bottle and a baby syringe (available at any drug
    store) to mix directly from the concentrate. Simply mix it 1+49 . Use the times
    below as a starting guide (you may not expose the same as me, or may not
    have the same taste in negatives, so these are only suggestions that should
    get you in the ballpark to do your own tweeking)

So without further ado,

Hc110 direct from concentrate-1+49 , 68f 20c, agitate first 30s with 2
    inversions every 30s thereafter.

****Note to the civilized-Please keep in mind that this methodology is for the
    US version of the concentrate*****

Acros100 @ 100 - 8 min
    Efke 25 @ 20 - 10.5 min
    Efke100 @ 100 - 10 min
    Ilford FP4+ @ 64 - 9 min
    Ilford FP4+ @ 125 - 11 min
    Ilford HP5 @ 400 - 8 min
    Ilford HP5 @ 800 - 11.5 min
    Plus X @ 125 - 8 min
    Tmax100 @ 100 - 9 min
    Tmax400 @ 400 - 9 min
    TriX320 @ 320 -8 min
    TriX400 @ 400 - 8 min

The following was provided by photographer David William White:

Arista EDU-Ultra 100 @ 100 - 6.5 min
    Ilford Pan F+ @ 50 - 5.5 min

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

HC110 made simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    At the risk of answering for Roger, it's probably because the cold water out of the tap is that warm. AC doesn't help much with that.
    When I lived in the desert our cold water was as warm as bath water in the summer.
    But the city water pipes need to be below 6 feet, and if you have a well that would also be WELL below the 6 foot mark and would be cold... all tapwater is about 55 degrees from tap... Just run the water a little bit to get to the colder water? Or am I daft? Unless he has some kind of water from a water bucket on his roof?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    But the city water pipes need to be below 6 feet, and if you have a well that would also be WELL below the 6 foot mark and would be cold... all tapwater is about 55 degrees from tap... Just run the water a little bit to get to the colder water? Or am I daft? Unless he has some kind of water from a water bucket on his roof?

Yes Stone, you are daft.

There are lots of places in the world that, during the warm months, have "cold" tap water that is a lot warmer than 55F.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Yes Stone, you are daft.

There are lots of places in the world that, during the warm months, have "cold" tap water that is a lot warmer than 55F.
    So then they aren't burying their pipes below 6 feet then... Hmmmm... Seems odd ... Ah well, such is life...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So then they aren't burying their pipes below 6 feet then... Hmmmm... Seems odd ... Ah well, such is life...
    Nope.

They don't have the type of soil/geology that maintains a cool temperature at that depth, or they cannot bury their pipes in solid rock or ground water.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nope.

They don't have the type of soil/geology that maintains a cool temperature at that depth, or they cannot bury their pipes in solid rock or ground water.
    Pft! I live in New England, and we handle rocks just fine, no one has more rocks than us!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone, the reason northern areas bury the lines so deep is to be below the frost line. That way, the pipes won't freeze in the winter. Water being cool is a pleasant side-effect for us, as the purpose has nothing to do with keeping water cool.

Areas without these concerns are not so worried about how deep the pipes are buried (and temperatures below the earth are higher as well). Tall buildings are yet another situation - the water is typically kept in storage tanks on top of the buildings, and that doesn't help keep it cool. Before you ask, yes, there are ways a building complex can keep the tank from freezing in the winter. These are not practical for a single-family home.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I lived in Topeka Kansas, on the Kansas River bottom, water was 55 year round. Now that I live in the Ozarks water is over 80 in the heat of summer. Lots of rock, little dirt here. Need to get out of New England once in a while to see real rock

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format

HC110 made simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    At the risk of answering for Roger, it's probably because the cold water out of the tap is that warm. AC doesn't help much with that.
    When I lived in the desert our cold water was as warm as bath water in the summer.
    Yep. "Cold" water in the summer comes out of the tap at around 80F, sometimes a bit more. The darkroom is downstairs where there is, in fact, no AC but it isn't really needed. The house is on a side hill so the darkroom area is underground and the room temperature is rarely more than 75-77. I'm totally comfortable with that personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not several rocks. Large, lot size pieces of rock that would require blasting to put pipes through them.
    Matt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not several rocks. Large, lot size pieces of rock that would require blasting to put pipes through them.
    Yea we do that... lol

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin