Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,627   Online: 1091

Shooter
    Multi Format

A concentrated, Phenidone-only developer (J. D. Kendall)

I find this interesting as it is the only developer I know of other than POTA using only Phenidone as a developing agent. The patent by Kendall (U.S. Pat. 2,289,367) is from 1942. My source for the formula is Modern Photographic Processing by Grant Haist (vol. 1, Special-Purpose Developers, Concentrated Developers, p. 523).

Composition:

3g 1-Phenyl-3-pyrazolidone (Phenidone)
    25g Sodium sulfite (crystalline)
    50g Sodium carbonate (crystalline)
    0.5g Potassium bromide
    500ml Water to make

Dilute 1+3 for use.

Depending on the hydration state of the sulfite and carbonate available, the following ratios can be used:

-For anhydrous sulfite, multiply the crystalline amount by 0.5 (= 12.5g anhydrous sulfite in the above formula)
    -For anhydrous carbonate, multiply the crystalline amount by 0.37 (= 18.5g anhydrous carbonate in the above formula)
    -For monohydrated carbonate, multiply the crystalline amount by 0.43 (= 21.7g carbonate monohydrate in the above formula)
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 03-05-2014 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have it as a Phenidone equivalent of ID-3 (similar to Selectol Soft/D165) it's adjusted to make 1 litre:

Example 1

Phenidone 6 gm.
    Sodium sulphite (anhyd.) 25 gm.
    Sodium carbonate (anhyd.) 37.5 gm.
    Potassium Bromide 1gm.
    Water to make 1 litre

To use 1+3

Results are similar in characteristics to a Metol only developer using the same weight of developer,
    only softer.

It's unusual as it has a very high level of Phenidone unlike the usual substitutions.

All the examples in the Patent are Phenidone substitutions for Metol in existing Metol or MQ formulae, so ones a Phenidone/Pyrogallol developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be interesting to test this formula. Substitutions of Phenidones in place of Metol are viable when the developer contains a secondary superadditive agent, but I would not expect using Phenidone only in place of Metol in a Metol-only developer would work very well, if at all. For example, you cannot make a Phenidone-only version of D-23.

Perhaps the relatively high pH of this formula helps, but I'd still expect either very low contrast or high fog. An interesting formula.

I'll post a few other interesting Axford/Kendall things from Haist in separate articles.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin