Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,373   Online: 1079

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Metol / Glycin 2 bath stand

MG37

A:

750 ml distilled water
    Metol 3g
    Sodium Sulphite 35g
    Glycin 7g
    Sodium Bisulfite 15g
    1/2 ml photoflo
    distilled water to make 1l

B:

750 ml distilled water
    Sodium Sulphite 50g
    Sodium Metaborate 15g
    distilled water to make 1l

Development times are 3 min in bath a and b, at full stand.

Like any true 2 bath, film speed is subject to change with brand.

I was looking for an easy metol / glycin stand developer and really didn't fine one I liked. After several different tries with metol / glycin ratios, this has a balance that I liked. Acutance is high and film grain is low.

Bath A should last a substantial amount of time. Glycin has a reputation for lasting a very long time and the PH is low enough to make the Metol last long as well.

Bath B should last 15-20 rolls of 35mm. But I let it go until it smells, then ditch it.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    What advantages do you find over other simpler two-bath developers?

David.
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wanted a glycin based stand developer developer for film. FX-2, although you can stand, is not a 2 bath. I liked the results with Harvey's 777 and wanted to get some of those results with a 2 bath.

Although I could have put some sodium bisulfite in Thortons A, I was looking for the tones I achieved with the Metol / Glycin mix. With that, I don't feel it is really any more complicated.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finding Glycin is fun in the UK though!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That may be true, but B&H shipped to me in Canada. I bought 100 grams over a year ago and has kept well in a sealed container in my freezer. 100g will last a very long time with this stuff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I liked the results with Harvey's 777 and wanted to get some of those results with a 2 bath.
    How does it compare, in your opinion, to 777? Also, do you rinse between baths or just put it straight into the b solution?
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not being able to have one in hand, I can't really tell. What I can say the tones are closer to what I like. I've been testing on the crappiest/grainiest film I have on hand (ORWO N74+) and I am pleased. It's time to thaw out some PX and see where it takes me.

I did develop some Neopan 400 (by mistake) that I took last summer. I liked the edge, but the film needs to be pulled back a bit. Fully printable, but may even need to change 4:4 times for the films with more layers.

I am curious what it would do to TX, but I have none around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strait into the B solution.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin