Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,297   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Images

Rodinal-like developer from Metol

Mix 40 grams of Metol with 15 grams of sodium sulfite in 1 liter of water. Add 19 grams of sodium hydroxide. Filter, saving the contents of the filter paper. That which passes through the filter is mostly sodium sulfite and sodium sulfate. That which remains is mostly the Metol base. Mix the contents of the filter paper with 750 ml of water and add 85 grams of sodium sulfite. Stir vigorously while adding 19 grams of sodium hydroxide. All or nearly all of the precipitate will dissolve. Bring the volume up to 1 liter. Use as you would Rodinal.

The result is a solution of a sodium salt of the Metol base and sodium sulfite.

I also made a batch in which I mixed the 85 grams of sulfite, 40 grams of Metol and 38 grams of hydroxide to make a liter which included the sulfate formed from the H2SO4 of the Metol. It is a little darker in color, but I haven't seen a difference in performance. Sodium sulfate is sometimes used in tropical developers to slow the reaction and minimize swelling of the emulsion, but the amount created here is probably not enough to do that job.
    Gadget Gainer

Qualities of rodinal like developer question

Patrick,
    Thanks for another formula. I am eager to try it out. Your vitamin C, sodium carbonate, metol developer is excellent in my opinion. I would like to know in what way is this formula is superior.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor Savchenko View Post
    Patrick, your earlier version of this developer had 63 g of Metol and 28.6 g of sodium hidroxide. How did you come to this latest version with decreased amount of Metol and increased amount of hidroxide. Is that to avoid a potential problem of crystallization of Metol in presence of its precipitates undissolved? Do you think that the both versions are approximately equal in activity?
    I have had an attack of viral encephalitis and a computer brain failure since then, so I calculated that for every molecular weight of Metol there should be 4 molecular weights of hydroxide, which could of course be either sodium or potassium. 2 moles are used to change the H2SO4 to Na2SO4 and 2 more to create the sodium salt of Metol. I don't remember why I chose 68 grams before, unless it was to give the same number of moles of the Metol base as of p-aminophenol in one of the several formulas for Rodinal. In any case, the 28.6 grams of hydroxide are only enough to neutralize the H2SO4 without forming the Metol salt. I don't have any of the other formula around and am quite happy with the new one.

Metol developers are strange creatures. So is HP5+. I developed two strips of negatives from the same roll of the same subject, one in a 1+50 solution and one in a 1+25 solution, both from thr same batch of concentrate, thinking of course that the 1+25 should give considerably more contrast than the other. I can't see much difference in the results. I seem to remember that D-23 was quite forgiving of errors in development time or temperature.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aligndont View Post
    Patrick,
    Thanks for another formula. I am eager to try it out. Your vitamin C, sodium carbonate, metol developer is excellent in my opinion. I would like to know in what way is this formula is superior.
    In my opinion, it's about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. It's more convenient for a frequent user to mix from a concentrate, and there is less likelihood of the concentrate going bad for a frequent user. Some may not like to use caustic alkalis. Some may not even be able to get the hydroxides these days. There is something to be said for consistency of results when using a concentrate, but not much. I would say try it with a quarter recipe, which may develop as many as 50 rolls of film depending on dilution. It won't cost you much to throw it away if you don't like it.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    What to do with the filtered metol base?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    It makes a good print developer also.
    I think that is an important point. A good film
    developer which is also a good print developer.
    Any additions you would suggest and a dilution
    ratio for paper use? Dan

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    I think that is an important point. A good film
    developer which is also a good print developer.
    Any additions you would suggest and a dilution
    ratio for paper use? Dan
    I don't remember what I used. I think 1+20 will work well. It depends on how long you want to wait for the black to maximize. You may need a dash of bromide. You're probably familiar with that technique. Just enough to keep whites white.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgray View Post
    Refer to the instructions on the first page. The ones at the top of this page are incomplete.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RE: Originally Posted by paulgray

Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Refer to the instructions on the first page. The ones at the top of this page are incomplete.
    My computer only shows one page for this thread. The post at the top is the original one. It does mention what to do with the filtered metol base. I think it is a legitimate question. I suspect it is to be discarded.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker) View Post
    RE: Originally Posted by paulgray

My computer only shows one page for this thread. The post at the top is the original one. It does mention what to do with the filtered metol base. I think it is a legitimate question. I suspect it is to be discarded.
    Didn't mean to brush you off. My computer shows at the top of the second page part of the recipe that ends with a series of dots and a message telling where to click to get the full recipe. In point of fact, you do not really have to filter the stuff. Do the following:
    Mix 40 grams of Metol with 85 grams of sodium sulfite in 750 ml of water. Add slowly 38 grams of sodium hydroxide while stirring. Bring the volume to 1 liter. Store it and use as you would Rodinal. I have found that the sulfate created by the neutralizatiion of the H2SO4 on Metol's tail has no photographic effect on the solution.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    If you have already filtered it and are wondering which is to be used in the developer, the liquid that goes through the filter is discarded and the solid retained by the filter goes into the developer where the additional hydroxide will dissolve it. As I said above, if you have not filtered it, don't bother. Just add the extra hydroxide and sulfite and you're ready to go.

By the way, 1 + 20 makes a paper developer that works in 2 minutes or less on most papers.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin