Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 769
      
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 51 to 51 of 51
  1. #1
    gainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,726
    Images
    2

    Rodinal-like developer from Metol

    Mix 40 grams of Metol with 15 grams of sodium sulfite in 1 liter of water. Add 19 grams of sodium hydroxide. Filter, saving the contents of the filter paper. That which passes through the filter is mostly sodium sulfite and sodium sulfate. That which remains is mostly the Metol base. Mix the contents of the filter paper with 750 ml of water and add 85 grams of sodium sulfite. Stir vigorously while adding 19 grams of sodium hydroxide. All or nearly all of the precipitate will dissolve. Bring the volume up to 1 liter. Use as you would Rodinal.

    The result is a solution of a sodium salt of the Metol base and sodium sulfite.

    I also made a batch in which I mixed the 85 grams of sulfite, 40 grams of Metol and 38 grams of hydroxide to make a liter which included the sulfate formed from the H2SO4 of the Metol. It is a little darker in color, but I haven't seen a difference in performance. Sodium sulfate is sometimes used in tropical developers to slow the reaction and minimize swelling of the emulsion, but the amount created here is probably not enough to do that job.
    Gadget Gainer

  2. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I would say try it with a quarter recipe, which may develop as many as 50 rolls of film depending on dilution. It won't cost you much to throw it away if you don't like it.
    I did just that. The first try I used a brazilian sourced Metol. The developer turned out dark brown. After the development of the first roll of film, as the developer came out of the tank, it had turned clear, pale yellow. Strange. Very little density on the negatives...

    So I tried again with Kodak's Metol (Elon). And everything seemed to have worked. I could see the reaction taking place when adding hidroxide, the changing of color and so on. HP5 (another strip from the same roll as before) developed nicely in it.

    Patrick, thanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin