Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,409   Online: 888

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hubl's Glycin Paste

a glycin developer, excellent for stand development, popular from the early 20th century (reference Cassell's Cyclopedia of Photography and Anchell & Troop)

hot water (125F / 52C) 500ml
    sodium sulfite 165g
    glycin 135g

mix well - takes some time to get all the glycin to dissolve
    then add

potassium carbonate, crystaline 625g
    water to 1000ml

This makes a thick, creamy stock solution with great shelf life (I have used year old stock with no problems). When diluting for use, I have found that I must use distilled water or else I end up with a cloudy solution that gives uneven results (I assume there is something in my tap water that reacts with the chemistry). Distilled water gives a clear pinkish solution (kind of looks like gasoline) that is a wonderful stand developer.

Suggested starting points for use:
    diluted 1:30 for 10 minutes with minimal agitation for Efke PM50

I particularly like this for roll films:
    diluted 1:55 for 45 minutes, agitate for first minute, then leave it alone; after 45' a 30 second water rinse, then fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK : Question: some of you folks state its suppose to be like a paste when finished ? well mine is two tone liquid I have attached a foto , any thoughts , I had my chemicals pre-mesured since I do not have a scale etc : I mixed the chemicals as stated [ except distilled water] using 125 degree water as the instruction's stated in hubl's formular = 165 grams Sodium Sulfite and then 135 grams of Glycin and then 400 grams of Potassium Carbonate, Anhydrous ! Has this happened to others or just me ?? Thanks folks :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20081107--8749.jpg  
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like it needs more stirring. Mine is a uniform past with a white to brick red color depending on the Glycin. It is similar to what you see early in the mixing process, so that is why I suggest more stirring. Mine is like whipped cream when done, and uniform.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE Should I reheat it and stir it or just stir it :
    Lauren MacIntosh
    When one's life Ends, then one becomes Life's history !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really don't know. I would guess both together might be better than either, but stir gently. Don't mix in too much air.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't heat it and stirr again - your one is ok. Shake it very well right before use. It's consistency depends much on the quality of potassium carbonate and sulfite. But it works fine anyway.

I'm making several liters per month of this paste, and eveyr time it is different if I take different carbonate. When the carbonate is very good, paste is a two tone liquid like yours, sometimes it is like a cream (this happens when I use potassium carbonate wich gives white precipitate when it is diluted in water).

But I found no difference in the development results of all this batches.

Shooter
    35mm
    And one more - I use 625 of anhydrous carbonate because in my old book (1917) is written the following: "All recipes of this book suppose to use crystalline potassium carbonate", but for Hubl paste it is written "Use anhydrous potassium carbonate for this recipe".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    GSD-10 Formula by Jay DeFehr is great for modern films

http://gsd-10.blogspot.com/2006/12/introduction.html

* Distilled water 750ml
    * sodium sulfite 50g
    * Sodium carbonate 75g
    * Glycin 10g
    * Distilled water to 1 liter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin