Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,893   Online: 959

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Edwal 10 -- formula, anyone?

I've seen a few references to Edwal 10 as an interesting Glycin developer, but cannot find a formula. Anyone have one at hand? Thanks for posting it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Starting times... use the time for D-76 1+1,
    and agitate once per minute. Agfa suggests 11',
    that's as good a place to begin as any other. I've found that it is better to judge
    E10 by the midtones rather than by Zone I. You may choose to agitate for 10 seconds every 5th minute if the APX highlights climb to high for your taste.

You've got three ways to use this stuff:
    one-shot, re-use the developer for a given number of rolls, or replenish.

Use D-76 instructions for guidance here.

If you replenish, 'season' the developer before your first roll
    by soaking 4 rolls of 135-36/120 (any old b&w film that has been fully exposed)
    for 15 minutes or so, and carefully drain all the liquid back into the bottle.

Work with 2 liters of developer, one Working solution, and one Stock.
    After your development is finished, pour the developer from the tank into a graduate,
    stop, fix, and wash as usual.

Withdraw 3 oz of developer from the graduate, and replace it with Stock, then pour it back into the Working bottle.
    It isn't much of a hassle, and makes a very nice working developer that will last indefinitely.

d

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use the Germain and the thing I like about it most is that it pulls well without adverse effects. I'm not scientific with my photography so this is an observation but with setup it goes to -1 and -2 quite nicely. My gut feeling (untested) is that the shadows come up quickly with this developer. I will probably making some Edwal 12 this weekend because it is drab and ugly in Milwaukee and I have spare sheets to develop!!...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks, DF -- just what I needed to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=bowzart;758830]... I am not put off by PPD. Yes, I know it causes cancer in laboratory animals in the state of California. QUOTE]

IIRC, PPD is widely used in hair dyes and shampoo. This makes one wonder how bad it really is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've read here about ppd causing severe reactions for some people. It's never bothered me, but I suppose I could reach my tolerance level one of these days. I hope not. So far, so good.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, my first few photos with APX 100 turned out well -- I developed in fresh Edwal 10, 9 minutes, agitate every 30 sec, 70.5 degrees. It did seem to hold values well, not blowing out some strong highlights, with a range of midtones different from my usual developer, if with a bit more grain. I think I'd like to use this as a replenished developer, which I've found has some attributes -- especially given its longevity.

Picture taken with a Konica IIIa -- nice lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails APX100 Glycin Kon003 copy 2.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just to continue to report: I've also developed some APX-100 in Edwal 10 as a stand developer. 425 ml solution at 70 degrees F, initial agitation 20 secs, agitate at the 25 minute mark, pour out at the one hour mark and then normal processing to conclusion. Nice tonality, good sharpness -- I like it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Just to continue to report: I've also developed some APX-100 in Edwal 10 as a stand developer. 425 ml solution at 70 degrees F, initial agitation 20 secs, agitate at the 25 minute mark, pour out at the one hour mark and then normal processing to conclusion. Nice tonality, good sharpness -- I like it!
    Did you use it straight or diluted, please?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Straight, as mixed from the formula. I mixed up a liter and had previously run about half a roll of film through it, so this was only the second time I'd used the developer. I'm not using a replenishment regime, so I figure I'll get about five rolls out of this liter and then toss (extending dev times by 5% over previous roll for rolls 3, 4, 5). I do think this could be a very good developer for replenishment.

As for my letting the film stand for one hour: the next time, I think I'd cut back to 45 minutes ONLY because the film base fog at one hour is just a little bit higher than when I ran my first roll with normal development technique. So I'm speculating that the one hour time brought up the base fog that extra bit, and that cutting back to 45 minutes might bring it down a little.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin