Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,648   Online: 1131

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

High Acutance Develper

In his book "Photographic Processing Chemistry" (1974 Focal Press), L.F.A. Mason lists a typical High Acutance Developer.

This may possibly be the formula for Hyfin, which was Ilford's High Acutance developer, available from 1961 until the early 1970's. Mason calls it a typical formula:

High Acutance Developer

Metol 0.5g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 5g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhyd) 5g
    Water to 1 litre

Development times 15-25 minutes
    Requires a minimum of 600ml of chemistry per 35mm or 120 film.

Mason notes that additions to the formula have been proposed, either 0.1g/litre Potassium Bromide or 5ml of 0.0001% Potassium Iodide solution. (He may be referring to other similar formulae like FX-1 etc)

Hyfin was sold in packets containing 5 sachets of developer each one making up 600ml of solution. I have two packets of Hyfin & will weigh the contents of a scchet next time I'm in the UK.

Hyfin instructions were:

Pan F & FP3 - 18 minutes @ 20°C
    Continuous agitation for the first 10 seconds then 5 seconds every minute.
    Gives 1 stop more effective film speed

In the early 60's there were 3 High Definition devopers availabe in the UK, lford's Hyfin, Kodak's High-Definition Developer & Johnson's Definol.

It's no co-incidence that Hyfin & HDD are very similar to Beutler's High Definition developer, sold as Neofin Blue, and another similar developer is Crawley's FX-1 formula.

The major differences are that Beutler has 1g Metol/litre & Crawley's FX-1 only 2.5g Carbonate + 15ml 0.0001% KI, compared to the formula above. The decrease in the Metol level compared to Beutler is likely to increase the edge effects & acutance further.

The addition of Potassium Iodide is likely to have little or no effect now as most modern films contain far higher levels in their emulsions, particularly Tmax & Delta films. It may have been more important with certain films Crawley speculates that it was needed in HDD for Pan-X

Mason would have known Crawley and his work, Ilford began manufacturing his chemistry for Paterson around 1963.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-02-2009 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve Anchell states quite clearly he doesn't like Tmax films in the DCB. Others would disagree with him.

Tmax films actually respond extremely well to some older developers that had gone out of favour, Rodinal being a good example, it may have to do with the high iodide content of the emulsions.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    PE,

Are there any general principles that might dictate whether more modern films such as TMY-2 or Delta 100 may respond to a greater or lesser extent to changing developer compared to conventional grain films?

A&T makes a statement that new technology films are only really for the benefit of the manufacturer; but as the vast majority of my film usage has been with designer grain films, I don't really have anything to compare their statement to.

Tom
    Tom;

There are no general rules except one: "there are no general rules"!

No joke.

Also, I would disagree with that statement in A&T, as I have seen the great improvements possible with newer emulsions in spite of the difficulty encountered in making the emulsion, so there is maximum advantage on the part of the user and not the manufacturer.

Modern making equipment is very complex due to the nature of these emulsions and that is inconvenient for the manufacturer.

I assure you that if there is a new edition of FDC, and if I have anything to do with it, that statement will be changed and I will offer proof. If you want proof though just consider the difficulty of making a graded core shell emulsion to get high speed with small grains!

Lee;

Thanks much for that reference. You can all see that Microdol X is nothing to be excited about! However, a lot can be done with developers and the Kodak family just about covers the gamut. IDK where you can find anything better, but I'm working on that! Others claim to get superb results with this or that home-made formula, but I have yet to see one of those compared exactly to the best of the best on that chart!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Steve Anchell states quite clearly he doesn't like Tmax films in the DCB. Others would disagree with him.

Tmax films actually respond extremely well to some older developers that had gone out of favour, Rodinal being a good example, it may have to do with the high iodide content of the emulsions.

Ian
    Ian;

I agree!

I also am reminded that Steve said the same in his interview on Inside Analog Photography with very strong emphasis. I would say, based on results and comments here, that many disagree with his evaluation.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE,

I was amazed by the image quality of TMY-2 when I tried it for the first time recently in 35mm format, processed in Pyrocat-HD.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    PE,

I was amazed by the image quality of TMY-2 when I tried it for the first time recently in 35mm format, processed in Pyrocat-HD.

Tom
    And there you go!

But, I would bet that even better results could be obtained somehow someway. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know that there is a lot out there. There is no magic bullet, but there are improvements to be had.

PE

Ian,

I know not to believe all read on the internet but Site Admin here says Hyfin was glycin based.Did the old stuff go brown?
    http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/...hp?f=32&t=1129

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

Lee;

Thanks much for that reference. You can all see that Microdol X is nothing to be excited about! However, a lot can be done with developers and the Kodak family just about covers the gamut. IDK where you can find anything better, but I'm working on that! Others claim to get superb results with this or that home-made formula, but I have yet to see one of those compared exactly to the best of the best on that chart!

PE
    Good morning, Ron;

Funny thing that this should come up right after our discussion. And, I agree that the reference provided by Lee is very useful. It would seem that there is great merit in looking at what Xtol will do for us now that Microdol-X is no longer available.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson View Post
    Ian,

I know not to believe all read on the internet but Site Admin here says Hyfin was glycin based. Did the old stuff go brown?
    It may be Hyfin uses Glycin as well,the details Mason gives for using the Formula here are identical to the Hyfin instructions.

Mason does say other formula contain "Glycin in addition to the Metol at about the same concentration" these need Pinacryptol Yellow as well a few ml of !:2000 solution. This was the way Crawley formulaed FX-2.

I'd have to re-read Crawley's original 60/61 BJP Articles. I tried the Formula that Mason fgives in the late 70's and the Acutance was like other High Acutance developers of the time.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Iodide was seen to be an inhibitor of edge effects kind of like a buffer against them taking place. With higher iodide levels this became more apparent, and therefore HDDs with iodide were viewed as being somewhat passe.PE
    Erm... you've lost me a bit here. Not difficult, maybe!

I thought the Iodide solution we added to FX1 and the like was suppossed to *Increase* the edge effects? With modern film it appeared (so I've witnessed myself) to have little or no effect. Why would you want to prevent edge effects in a HDD developer? Does this explain why I always found FX1 to be a bit lacking when it came to the pronounced mackie lines I was hoping for?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your right Steve, Iodide was used by Kodak themselves in developer to get edge effects, but the level is so low it's like Homoeopathic medicine

But these days the iodide is in the emulsions, and at higher levels than the trace use in FX-1 etc.

Ian

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin