Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,518   Posts: 1,572,201   Online: 1010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ing. Koblic MPB (outdated film developer)

during and after W.W.II. photographers in the Czech Republic suffered from lack of fresh films - in fact one wasn't able to buy anything else than outdated film or paper. famous photography-oriented Czech inventor and chemist Ing. Premysl Koblic (aside from his famous Pextral developing method) formulated a special developer intended to use with outdated films.
    so it's time to tell the whole world about it .)

Metol - 4 g
    Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) - 16 g
    Disodium phosphate (.12H2O) - 4 g
    Borax (sodium tetraborate) - 8 g
    water to make - 1000 ml (pH should be 8.5)

developing time suggested for the first film is around 8-15 min at 18 °C.
    should be stored up to 6 months (and maybe more).
    used developer can't be stored.

amount of Disodium phosphate can be altered up to 70 g/l - it acts as a restrainer of a fog&haze and other negative effects of long-time stored film.
    film's speed will be slightly better than D-76 and negatives will be very sharp, fine grained, gelatine layer is very clear. prints should look crisp and sharp without annoying edge-effects caused by many actuance developers.

Delta 400 negatives have as good tonality as souped in DD-X but are super-sharp (can be seen even on 5x enargements as a huge difference).

btw - it can be diluted 1+1 with approximately doubling the development times, giving more compensation. using at higher temperatures than 20 °C cannot be recommended because of metol's soft-working nature.
    btw2 - concentrated (3x ?) solution to be diluted before use can be made easily.

some sample shots from delta400 @ mpb 1+0 are attached. scanned enlargements from ilford mg iv rc and adox easy print in dektol made with condenser enlarger.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas_87 View Post
    ... don't know where I had my brain when I wrote that
    possibly you smoked some of Daniel's plants ?
    Last edited by MPandolfo; 01-06-2010 at 05:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    in my country Indonesia, it's hard to find Disodium phosphate, can change it to trisodium posphate?

thanks
    haryanto
    Last edited by haryanto; 04-15-2010 at 10:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    quiet-light.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haryanto View Post
    in my country Indonesia, it's hard to find Disodium phosphate, can change it to trisodium posphate?

thanks
    haryanto
    as far as I know, 1 % solution of TSP has pH of 12,1.
    compared to pH around 9 of 1 % solution of disodium phosphate (smewhere it's said it is neutral).
    maybe it can be substitued, but then you have to adjust the pH by adding some acid. i'm not a chemist, sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hallo- I just JOINED this Venerable Site ! I love mixing my own ever since 1951 when the School Chemistry Master showed members of the School Photo-Soc how to mix up developers ! I tried this Formula today with some 1992 dated Kodak TMY 400 I downrated to 250ASA -- I mixed a x3 concentration, then I diluted it 1+3 with water -- was my maths corect as the test length of 120 film was severely under-developed at 10 minutes (guessed time) and I was careful to use 18oC not the usual 20oC. Regards to all the Experts on here, from Darkest Essex, England -- Peter.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello pentaxpete and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did the other half of the cut 120 film-- this time I rated the film at 200ASA and gave it 17 minutes instead of 10 minutes -- result -- better, but still a bit 'thin' and I think it needs at least 18 minutes dev time and rate at 160 ASA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    hello, for 3x concetrate you should make up the working solution by diluting it 1+2 with water (1+2 dilution = 1:3 = 1/3 concentration). however, don't be afraid to prolong the development further, this developer is softly working. maybe you will have to add more Disodium phosphate to it for 18 years old film (10-20 g maybe, maybe more).
    good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Mr Lucas : many thanks -- your MATHS is much better than mine ! I asked my boy and HE said it should be 1+2 not 1+3 as I worked out -- I am experimenting more with the developer, will try with some other films -- the FOG level on my outdated TMY 400 was very low , so looking promising ! ( just one worry -- MY bottle says 'Disodium Hydrogen Phosphate' -- is it the same as the ordinary 'Disodium Phosphate' ? )
    Last edited by pentaxpete; 09-26-2010 at 06:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think it should be all right as long as your Disodium Hydrogen Phosphate is Na2HPO4 . 12H2O (CAS: 10039-32-4). It's the same I think (or hope).

Best Regards from the Czech Republic!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have nothing to say except thank you to the contributer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin