Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,065   Online: 899

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

BOOK REVIEW: Way Beyond Monochrome Ed 2 by Ralph Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse

Disclaimer: This book is intended for use by photographers who have a basic working knowledge of exposure and who have processed film and made optical prints. It is beyond basic and seems to be intended for the advanced hobbyist on up to the professional who wants a fresh look at Black and White analog capture. That being said. . .

Way Beyond Monochrome Edition 2 fills what I feel to be an important gap in technical information pertaining to many aspects of Black and White film photography. Before 2003, your most current sources have been the books by Ansel Adams (The Camera, The Negative and The Print), Henry Horenstein's books (Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual and Beyond Basic Photography), Minor White's The New Zone System Manual and Phil Davis' Beyond The Zone System, to name but a few. All of these are still very relevant to film photography and should be a part of your library as they are mine. However, all are out of print with the exception of Adams' trilogy. And that is only a reprinting of 25 year old information for the most part.

Ralph Lambrecht and Chris Woodhouse have now kicked photographic reference materials up a notch. The sheer size of this books bespeaks the amount of information one might hope to find within and upon opening to the table of contents one will not be disappointed. This, the 2nd edition (the first published in early 2003) has been filled with extensive coverage of most aspects of Black and White analog photography.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Part 1 The Basics
    From Visualization to Print
    Fundamental Print Control
    Presentation Is Everything

Part 2 The Science
    Tone Reproduction
    Image Capture
    Negative Control
    Advanced Print Control
    On Assignment

Part 3 Odds and Ends
    Equipment and Facilities
    Tools, Tips and Tricks
    Appendix/Glossary/Biblio and Index

This short list is but a taste of the topics covered within the 542 pages. More than enough detail is included to busy the photographer who wishes to improve their craft for a long, long time. Split-grade printing, print toning, zone system, process control, how the human eye sees and the brain perceives visual input, pinhole photography, tables and tools, graphs and curves, examples of techniques, mounting and matting prints, make your own test strip printer. The list goes on and on and this list does not do the material covered justice. It is all laid out in a concise manner that is simple to use for quick reference or for self-education.

I cannot express how invaluable I find this resource. As mentioned above, and as I am sure many of you have done, I have accumulated a lot of theory and how-to photography books over the years from many different time periods covering all manner of topics. And perhaps this is initial excitement over the acquisition of a most excellent book. But that does not deny its excellence. WBM2 should be a part of any aspiring photographer's library. It is the same price new as are the three books of Adams' trilogy and with every bit as much information, excepting only beginner info on exposure, etc. This review may seem to be nothing but praise. Well, it is. I find everything right with the book. There are some nudes as examples so this should be considered when purchasing for a younger photographer.

Ralph and Chris have given us such a great gift in Way Beyond Monochrome Ed2. I hope that you will take advantage of it. You will not regret it.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 12-27-2010 at 08:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey, this would be a GOOD application of G.A.S.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris and others have posted qualified and honest reviews on Amazon. I like to thank them for that and remind others to do so as well if they find a moment. I'm not after raving reviews, just your honest opinion about the book, because this can help others to make the right purchasing decision.

A recent post on Amazon shows how important that is, because for the second time, a digital photographer posted a rather critical review. His main complaint is that the book is 'analog', and as far as he is concerned, slightly 'antiquarian' because it ignores the 'reality' of digital photography. Very puzzling, it's like us writing critical reviews about Photoshop books because they ignores real photography. Who would do that?

First they invaded our photography clubs, then they tried to discredit our hobby, they made sure our supplies have become limited and expensive, they call us antiquated and now they are asking for more digital in our analog books. Enough is enough!
    (reaching for blood pressure medicine)

In any case, if you feel like sharing your opinion about an anlog book, you can do so here:

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Beyond-Mon...owViewpoints=1

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 01-02-2011 at 01:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yup, put those reviews on. They can be as in depth or as brief as you like. And remember, you're steering a potential buyer to or away so write down what you honestly think about it.

Thanks, again, Ralph.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bought, read and reread this book a year ago, now using it as a reference frquently. One of the best I know of. I understand that there now is a revised version. Anyone knows if the
    revisions would justify buying a new copy?
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    Bought, read and reread this book a year ago, now using it as a reference frquently. One of the best I know of. I understand that there now is a revised version. Anyone knows if the
    revisions would justify buying a new copy?
    In a word?

YES!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Note the title "...Ed2". I am writing about the second edition. I have never seen the first edition so I cannot compare between the two as to exactly what information has ben updated and in what fashion.

By itself, it is well worth the investment. And your book will come with an awesome author who makes e-house calls.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Chris and others have posted qualified and honest reviews on Amazon. I like to thank them for that and remind others to do so as well if they find a moment. I'm not after raving reviews, just your honest opinion about the book, because this can help others to make the right purchasing decision.

A recent post on Amazon shows how important that is, because for the second time, a digital photographer posted a rather critical review. His main complaint is that the book is 'analog', and as far as he is concerned, slightly 'antiquarian' because it ignores the 'reality' of digital photography. Very puzzling, it's like us writing critical reviews about Photoshop books because they ignores real photography. Who would do that?

First they invaded our photography clubs, then they tried to discredit our hobby, they made sure our supplies have become limited and expensive, they call us antiquated and now they are asking for more digital in our analog books. Enough is enough!

In any case, if you feel like sharing your opinion about an anlog book, you can do so here:

Thanks in advance.
    I'm yet to get a copy of your book, Ralph, but it's a great pity someone who obviously doesn't appreciate the finer side of the craft, gave the book a less than adequate rating.

Your request for a more in-depth explanation as to where it was lacking (digitally), and their subsequent ignoring said request, shows they are lacking in the art of giving a critique. (And also being unable to differentiate between "analog" and "digital" - the title really does explain the book's origins.)

When I finally find some $$ to purchase, I'll make sure I give it a review that reflects the subject matter aptly. (And should I feel that something were lacking, I'll certainly take the time to explain why I feel that way.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Superb!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very helpful review in context (of the key older works). Thank you, Chris Walrath!

Looking for good info on Split Grade Printing and working B&W with color enlargers, I found Chris Woodhouse's PDF chapter on splitgrade and ordered the book straight away. Just skimmed it fresh in from Amazon yesterday. This is a book written in the spirit of imparting information (rather then establishing authority). Very clear and complete.

It's definitive. Everything you say, Chris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post

Thanks in advance.
    I'm proud to be the phone so!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin