Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,222   Online: 1050

Article: old notch codes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

old notch codes

this isn't an article just a pdf of old notch codes
    to help you ID film you might have forgotten about ..
    this isn't as complete as it could be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I learned about notch codes the hard way. I had just started working at a commercial lab and I was loading about 50 sheets of E-6 in a roller transport processor, you'd load 2 sheets at a time with the notches facing a certain way.
    Halfway thru I thought one felt funny but just kept loading. As soon as I finished someone from the front desk came running back to see if I was done. I found out that the
    one that felt funny was a sheet of Plus-X that got mixed in. Plus-X doesn't do to well in E-6 chemistry. Half the sheets of E-6 where ruined and I spent the rest of the day
    dumping the chemistry and replacing it. I memorized all the notches after that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ouch !

i have been cross processed a few sheets of e6 and c41 by mistake in
    b/w chemistry, not quite as bad as a roller transport machine
    after 22 years, i still can't remember which way to load it in holders, notch on the top right or left

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    after 22 years, i still can't remember which way to load it in holders, notch on the top right or left
    Hah!
    So that's why you shoot paper... so you don't have to deal with the notch codes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

dang, the secret's out !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's some more that I found on some site, maybe here (?). Extinct film types!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sheet Film Notch Codes.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	907.0 KB 
ID:	30472

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes! No

I thought for a second that the notch codes for Kodak Ortho-X corresponded to the sheets that I have, alas I had just misread the table. I have some Ortho-X film that has just a single rectangular notch, not the three notches that are usually listed. I think it must be from an early 1938 batch before they decided on what the notch code should be. The film develops best in paper developer with surprisingly little fog, given how old it is.

Best regards,

Evan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin