Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,310   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Digital Lens on Film Camera , Film lens on Digital Camera

I will post a detailed article from lensrentals.com.

If you have a digital lens and if you use it at film camera , result will be bad. Why ? Because digital lens is optimized to to send light rays through the glass infrared mirror.

If you attach film lens in to digital camera , glass infrared window will decrease the mtf %20 and increase the spherical aberration.

Thats why , glassless BW Leica M9 is the best for accepting old lenses.

Mustafa Umut Sarac
    Istanbul

Here is the article below :

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014...adapted-lenses
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 07-20-2014 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Copyright. Please do not cut and paste content from other sites. Link to that content instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't worry about such matters because I only use Canon FD cameras and lenses.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i use nikon lenses on a dig camera, both digital and analog and never noticed a difference
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh Hogwash!
    Also, the comparison is what between 2 or 3 lenses? Every system currently has at least twice that number. One could spend a lifetime comparing, if there was to be a "generalisation".

Also, What you are suggesting is very local to cameras without AA filters? (is it?) If so - wouldn't it mean that all current MFDBs attached to older cameras (V series, etc.,) would be out of whack?

One of the better things about the Nikon system (SLR, not mirrorless) is that you have compatibility for most things right back from somewhere in the 60s to now (at least mechanically).
    I have used a current Dx "G" lens on a Mechanical Nikon and images came out fine - incidentally I shot them all at f22 cos it's a "Gelded" lens.
    Have also used the 50 f1.4 AI on then current D90 and it sparkles.

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon

But Nikon cameras and Nikon lenses. Step up to the good stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    meh,, nikon seems to work fine for me

tomAtoe-- tomahtoe

btw ...

the arguments that the plane of focus will be off
    is the same stuff that i always heard and was warned about
    when i was told NOT TO use my normal graflex 23 roll film adapter
    on the back of my graflex series d slr.
    so i put it on ( used black masking tape ) and took a few rolls, wide open
    with my tessar 21cm f3.8 ... focus sharp as a tack.
    people just like to claim stuff and once in a while i turns out not to be true...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The whole thing seems a bit off to me. Adapters vary in equality, and fit.

At the same time is every sensor, from a given camera maker, equipped with the same thickness and quality of glass in the stack?

Did Nikon and Canon lock themselves into a set filter thickness/composition for all time and eternity?

It would be interesting to know if filter stack thickness has changed as sensors have evolved?

Then again, what about emulsion thickness? Which is optimal?

Or, are the differences too small to matter?

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you attach film lens in to digital camera , glass infrared window will decrease the mtf %20 and increase the spherical aberration.
    Erm... what??
    More likely (only as a possibility) it is chromatic aberration, not spherical. But infrared?? I don't think so.
    No, I don't believe the "decrease in MTF of 20%". How is this qualified, and in what specific circumstances?
    Articles like this are very generalised, vague and wordy. This should be better researched, published, subject to peer review, analysis and proof, and then cited. Some of us are not easily taken in by bald statements. And is it important? If proven, it might be. For what it's worth, all of my analogue lenses are totally functional on digital bodies (old and newest) without problem because they are from the manufacturer, not a third party — and that is where many lenses do give problems with bodies, especially digital (the marques do not licence metering and AF algorithms to third parties). And no, I don't have a digital to take those lenses because I do not use digital for my production (and never will).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't worry about such matters because I only use Canon FD cameras and lenses.
    Same here.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i use nikon lenses on a dig camera, both digital and analog and never noticed a difference
    Ditto, never a problem.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin