Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,652   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

My completed (Impossible) 365 project

So yesterday I finished my 2011 365 project using only TIP film. It was a long often frustrating task but well worth it. I have 13 hours left in the day to decide if I want to do it again.

Day 1:

Day 365:

The website for the project (it's Tumblr based so feel free to like/reblog if you so desire!)
    http://www.the-365-project.com

And if you don't feel like wading through the website, here is a video of the whole thing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRXi7e34GE

Thanks to Impossible! It has really been fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations! I love reading about people's photographic journeys. So what did you learn about yourself and about photography and what are you going to do with all those photos? An exhibition, a book, a magazine article?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So now that you have an intimate feel of the impossible project's replacements, how do they compare?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This looks like a wonderful set. Will peruse later when I have more time (i.e. am not at work!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lesm View Post
    Congratulations! I love reading about people's photographic journeys. So what did you learn about yourself and about photography and what are you going to do with all those photos? An exhibition, a book, a magazine article?
    What did I learn about myself? I get sidetracked easily haha. When I started this project i had planned out different themes and ideas incase I ever got stuck. For instance in the Portland, OR area there are 7 independent photo stores. I was going to shoot one every day for a week to showcase them... I never did it. I also intended on keeping with other mini-sets that were a part of the project. In Febuary I spent a few days shooting nothing but old trucks. I would have loved to do more but got sidetracked again. What I learned most of all though was that it didn't matter if I went into the day with and idea of what I wanted to shoot. Because more often than not I would experience something that day that spoke more about me and about the photographic diary that this project was.

What to do with them? I've been working on a book, but it is taking much longer than I had anticipated. Should be ready in the next few weeks though, it is a collection of what I feel to be the best images from the project. 161 total. No exhibition, if I could get a magazine article that would be sweet but it's doubtful. Especially now that a month has passed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fumblingwithfilm View Post
    So now that you have an intimate feel of the impossible project's replacements, how do they compare?
    Compare to what? Polaroid film? It is certainly a different beast. But their latest films (including the PX70 test film they just launched) are getting very close to what Polaroid had produced. Adam Carolla has a theory he likes to use that applies well here.

Think of an X, with Polaroid at the top left, Impossible Project at the bottom left and as we progress in time things move to the right. As well all know, when Impossibles first film was released (bottom left) it was pretty much crap. And yet the latest Polaroid film that was made was still very good (top left) but as we move through the years, Impossibles film got better, and the remaining Polaroid film got worse. I think right now we are where the two intercept. From here on out Impossibles film will look better than even the freshest stuff from Polaroid you can find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    This looks like a wonderful set. Will peruse later when I have more time (i.e. am not at work!).
    Haha thanks

I'm actually doing my 2nd straight year right now, I upload images every day, sometimes it does take a few days to get around to scanning though.

www.the-365-project.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thanks for the link !

great images you have made -
    best of luck with your book or magazine or whatever you might do ..
    if you are a npr radio kind of person, you might contact them they have
    an image blog and do interviews &c, and this might be right up their alley !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I really like the youtube video. Glad you have decided to continue the project - you'll be documenting improvements in Impossible's films too :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdexposures View Post
    Haha thanks

I'm actually doing my 2nd straight year right now, I upload images every day, sometimes it does take a few days to get around to scanning though.

www.the-365-project.com
    I would love to say that I've got you beat by a year, but I am embarrassed at how far I am behind on processing and printing. Today was day 765 of consecutive shooting, but I'm probably only printing at less than half of that. It has been a wonderful experience, and I have no intention of stopping any time soon, but I am getting frustrated by the growing pile of unprocessed rolls and sheets of film. I suppose if I gave myself permission to stop for awhile, I would get caught up a little, but I'm not ready to admit defeat yet.

I would highly recommend at least shooting 365. It forces you to find inspiration when you think there's none to be found.

Cheers,
    Tom

[EDIT - I wrote this on my phone, and kinda missed that the subject was more to do with the Impossible films... I didn't mean to hijack... Mea culpa]
    Last edited by Toffle; 02-05-2012 at 10:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I should read more carefully
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin