Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Instant Films

4x5 back for polaroid cu-5 camera wanted

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for the 4x5 back for Polaroid's CU-5 camera. I believe it's referred to as an "88-45 camera body".

If by some miracle anybody has any more info or one for sale/trade, please let me know!

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you are right, it's "88-45 camera body" indeed. I own one, but its not for sale. you can attach a 550 pack film holder to it as well as the 545 sheet film holder, but there is no longer any film for the latter. and, just in case, you can slide in an ordinary sheet film holder and use the new harman direct positive paper.

good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can shoot fuji quickloads in the 545....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thanks xya, my plan is to shoot 4x5 polaroid/fuji with the CU-5 and move over to the Harman direct positive paper as instant materials become rarer. Hopefully the new55project will be a success and give us film to shoot for a while yet.

I already have a CU-5 camera so theoretically could make my own version of the 88-45 camera body, though at macro level accuracy of focus becomes essential. Not sure I'm capable of making anything with any degree of precision...

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I could measure mine as precisely as possible, if that helps...

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thank you, measurements would be very useful. I'll work on some crude diagrams and figure out what I need

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did the measurements. although they look quite different from the outside, the inner cast of the "cone" is about the same. the 4x5 is just a piece of cast metal and a spring for the holder. I put both bodies face down on the table to measure, so measuring starts from the outmost rim. from the rim to the holder plane it's 98mm. the holder adds another 2mm which makes it 100mm to the film plane. the back opening of the cone is approx. 119x95mm.

the pack 100 body has a smaller frame screwed onto the cast cone. before the frame it's the same as above, the frame reduces it to 105x82mm. with an empty cartridge front put into it, I measured 103mm from the outmost rim to the film plane. if you would take off the pack 100 frame you'll probably already be there.

I add 2 photos. please feel free to ask further questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pola_cu5_01.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	45767

both bodies on the table

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pola_cu5_02.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	45768

both bodies from the outside

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Thanks, the photos are really useful to compare with the backs I already have. Maybe a home-made 4x5 back doesn't have to be perfect if I used ground glass to focus. Slows down the process a little, but I'd rather be accurate.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin