Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,366   Online: 976

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    that's a surprise
    Not really. There's no enlargement, so very little issue with grainyness. And it's good for low light.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Not really. There's no enlargement, so very little issue with grainyness. And it's good for low light.
    aye, but not so good in normal light... contrast isn't as good in my experience either

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    aye, but not so good in normal light... contrast isn't as good in my experience either
    Do you have one of the Polaroid ND filters? Or are you trying to control exposure by aperture and time. The ND filter helps a lot. Not sure why it's different. I cannot offer a reasonable explanation.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Do you have one of the Polaroid ND filters? Or are you trying to control exposure by aperture and time. The ND filter helps a lot. Not sure why it's different. I cannot offer a reasonable explanation.
    I only use it on my home-made camera these days. but find the speed a bit restrictive because I don't have any ND filters... it's the shamateur way

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    that's why converted pathfinder 110 and 120 cameras are sold for quite high prices. the 110 has an f90 "pinhole" and the 120 genuine f64 and f90 stops. that helps a lot. but nd filters are fine as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    but the lenses are great too, which obviously adds to the price.
    I've got the Ysarex rooted to the front of my LF now and it's great

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It works! It works!

I put a post on FB with a picture of a Polaroid Land Camera and asked that if anyone had one in a closet somewhere to contact me. Well a fellow photog friend of mine said that she had one that she used as a prop once before, but that I could have it. So I paid her $10 and picked it up last night. Its a model 104, and aside from a little corrosion in the battery compartment, it is in GREAT shape. As she told me, she bought it in an estate sale of another photographer and she thought this one was one of his collectables.

So I went to Radio Shack at lunch and bought a battery holder, and then did the conversion while eating my lunch. To my surprise, it worked! So I put a pack of film in and took my first shot. It came out a little dark, which I think was because the darken knob was turned all the way to dark.

Excuse the iPhone photo, (don't have a scanner at work) but if you look on the left side of the photo it appears to be missing part of the photo. Is this a development thing, as if the rollers didn't get the chemicals over the entire thing, or is this something blocking the image on the inside?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	762.3 KB 
ID:	46628

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    It works! It works!
    Hurray!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    if you look on the left side of the photo it appears to be missing part of the photo. Is this a development thing, as if the rollers didn't get the chemicals over the entire thing, or is this something blocking the image on the inside?
    It's a developer thing. It's pretty common on Polaroids.

First and foremost, make sure the rollers are fastidiously cleaned between every pack. OK, sometimes you can't do that if you're in a real hurry, but you suffer if you don't.

Next, the age of the film has a lot to do with how smoothly the chemicals spread across the emulsion when the pack erupts. Old chemicals don't erupt from the package as cleanly.

Third, temperature has a lot of effect. Cold weather makes the spread more erratic, especially at the beginning to the picture (the part you see the problem.)

Finally, technique in extracting the bundle through the rollers is extremely important. Smooth extraction, something I'm not very good at myself, is very important.

There's a bunch of folks, especially on the emulsion lift areas, who can tell you more than you ever knew existed about all of this.

Michael
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Michael. I just took a second shot, mostly because I just wanted to pull the frame through the rollers, but it came out clean from one end to the other. Looks like there aren't any light leaks or anything on this camera. Although it is still darker than I expected, It lighted up a little since I moved the knob.

I cleaned the rollers with some rubbing alcohol earlier today because there was some old brown gunk on them. It came off and they are silver and shiny again, but I had to rub them for a few minutes. And the inside part where the film pack goes is completely rust free! Looks almost new.

I learned about emulsion lifts briefly yesterday on youtube. How interesting that looks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    congrats.

and Michael is right, sometimes the chemicals don't spread evenly, but that's part of the fun
    emulsion lifts are great to do, but are harder to do with the fuji (really plasticy and not so good for manipulating) than old polaroid film.

and image transfers are almost impossible.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin