Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,697   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Green Holga Film?

Am I developing Holga brand film wrong, or does it always give off neon green stuff?

I just developed my second roll of Holga brand 400 film that I shot in my Holga and when I poured the developer out it was neon green. And it was just as neon green as it was when I did the first roll about 6 months ago. Even the stop bath came out greenish rather then the normal yellowish color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anti-Halation layer. Tmax is notoriously purple.

You probably didn't get it all out when you poured in the stop bath so it picked up that color as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I've got 6 rolls of TriX-400 120 done, 1 roll of TriX-400 35mm, and 1 roll of Holga done tonight. They are hanging up to dry now. I haven't seen that much purple from TriX but that green in the Holga was unmistakable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    holga film is obviously the same as arista edu, which is probably the same as the Foma since that is the factory where it is made -- Arista edu also gives off that green color when you dump the developer out, and more when you dump the stop bath out, so be sure to rinse it well between the stop bath and fix or it will turn your fixer green too.

it is the anti-hilation layer. No biggie. Very colorful. But if you want the same film for less money, buy arista edu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like the film is re branded foma, the green colour is simply the anti halation layer, no problem, I have developed foma in d76 stock and the developer turns a lovely shade of green, but then developed a roll of tri x in the same stock and it has made no difference.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My developing routine includes a 3 minute pre soak to remove the anti halation dye as well as help eliminate the possibility of air bells on the film. It also tempers the film and developing tank/reel and helps maintain constant temperture.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Rick A. I always pre soak for the same reasons.
    charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The discussion on pre-soak / not pre-soak will never get settled. Please don't open that can of worms.

Many people have fine results with pre-soak. Many other people have fine results without it.

Either way, the least of your concern are the dyes incorporated in the film. Whether it gets washed away prior to developing, during, or after, has very little effect on the actual film developing process. Just do it the same way every time, and STOP worrying about the color.

Tri-X will not have much color in a pre-soak, while TMax will. Ilford comes out clear, Foma/Holga/Arista.EDU Ultra comes out turquoise. Just don't worry about it. It's perfectly natural.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I happen to like the various colors I see in the presoak water. Too bad I can't see it when I develop it in trays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The discussion on pre-soak / not pre-soak will never get settled. Please don't open that can of worms.

Many people have fine results with pre-soak. Many other people have fine results without it.

I did two rolls of TriX400 120 last night without a presoak. Then I came to APUG between rolls to do a bit of research on the purple tint to the negatives. I found a post that mentioned presoaking, so I tried it. That initial dump of water came out navy blue. I finished developing as normal, and those negatives came out exactly like the ones that did not have a presoak. My ignorant eye can't tell the difference, and I've now forgotten which roll was presoaked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin