Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,378   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so here's my first attempt with PX100 UV+
    instead of the rolling pin I put the it back in the cartridge and ejected like normal through the camera...

cheating?
    Last edited by himself; 03-11-2012 at 04:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love how it's almost abstract, but if you look long enough you can see a face.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks and like the face on the moon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Behold my latest attempts and such!

These first two were with a petzval and processed with the standard beat up enlarger baseboard and wine bottle full of water;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-36.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	47752 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-37.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	814.5 KB 
ID:	47763

I actually tried using a rolling pin, but the spindle was fixed and actually provided inferior results to the wine bottle.
    I did somewhat improve my results by taking a smooth glass cutting board and placing it on my enlarger's baseboard.

These were with my 152mm Ektar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-38.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	428.3 KB 
ID:	47754 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-39.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	373.2 KB 
ID:	47755

I have to say, this film scans better than any other i've used...
    Last edited by EASmithV; 03-13-2012 at 04:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it looks like you keep getting the same area of undeveloped film...
    do you think there's any reason for that?

Shooter
    35mm
    Based on my 7 years working on the Kodak Instant Photography System, on which the Fuji Instax film is based, a lot of technology went in to controlling the DLT (Developer Layer Thickness). You had to put enough 'goo' into the pod to be able to cover the entire image area, avoiding putting too much 'goo' in the pod so you would overfill the trap at the top of the film unit which would cause a leak. If I remember correctly, the burst edge of the developer pod was designed to burst in several areas resulting in several 'tongues' traveling across the image instead of just one 'tongue' moving down the center. The multiple 'tongues' gave much more even spread. In addition, the rollers were specially ground to help give a more even spread as well.

I'm glad you are having fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so a case of uneven pressure across all the frame, would that also account for the colour variations?
    the bits that aren't spread entirely being thicker and thus developing differently?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, DLT variations caused by uneven spread can cause color and density variations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    heh. I'm surprised i'm getting results at all...
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    heh. I'm surprised i'm getting results at all...

Since you aren't quite covering the entire image area, you need to press a little harder. You might want to try placing a metal shim on either side of the picture unit to control your spread; obviously this will require trial and error with different thickness shims.

Like I said "Have fun!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin