Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,598   Online: 865

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shutter speed of PLC's...

Does anyone know what the shutter speed is when a flash is plugged into the PC connector on a Polaroid 250?

I'd like to try using a sync cord with one of our AB400 lights, but need to find out where to set the power.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know what the speed will be but why would it affect the power you need to set?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    f8 at 1/125th is brighter than f4 at 1/125th isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    f8 at 1/125th is brighter than f4 at 1/125th isn't it?
    Christopher:

We are really confused!

In your question, did you actually mean to ask about the aperture set by the camera, rather than the shutter speed?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah. I think I've confused myself. It was a very long day yesterday.

For starters, I thought that I had read somewhere that when you plug a flash into the pc socket on the camera, it restricts the shutter to one particular speed. I could be wrong, but I could swear that I read that somewhere.

Secondly, if I think about the exposure triangle, I have ISO, SS, and Aperture. In this particular case, my only certain is the film speed, ISO 100. The electric eye on the camera sets the SS and Aperture 'automatically'. My issue is that wouldn't the camera be metering itself off the ambient modeling light of my strobe? If thats the case, when I trip the shutter, if my strobe is at full power it is going to blow out the frame. Correct?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    My issue is that wouldn't the camera be metering itself off the ambient modeling light of my strobe? If thats the case, when I trip the shutter, if my strobe is at full power it is going to blow out the frame. Correct?
    Probably. But it is possible (however unlikely) that it could select an aperture together with a long shutter speed for the ambient light that just happens to be the correct aperture for the flash you are using.

Is it fully automatic or do you have some aperture control?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Probably. But it is possible (however unlikely) that it could select an aperture together with a long shutter speed for the ambient light that just happens to be the correct aperture for the flash you are using.

Is it fully automatic or do you have some aperture control?

Steve.

All three of the models I have are 'automatic'. I can't afford the manual models, they are still commanding $400/$500 pricetags.

The only aperture control on the automatic models that I have (104, 420, and 250) is the 'lighten/darken' setting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shutter speed normally only affects the ambient light.

This is because the actual pop is really fast; 1/1,000 of a second is a long duration for an real life pop, 1/10,000 of a second isn't outside the norm.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    marty kuhn did some research on his wonderful site

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/how2-packflash.htm

which is a "must" for polaroid owners. you'll find all information about the whole series.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin