Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,525   Online: 1101

Shooter
    Multi Format

Land Polaroid with aftermarket flash?

I'm a bit confused about using a converted Polaroid like the 360/450 with a newer electronic flash. Will I give up all ability to use automatic flash since the flash has no idea what fstop the camera will choose? Or will the camera default to wide open in most scenarios?

Even with manual flash, how will I know what fstop the camera is going to be at to properly pick the output power?

Is it just easier to use a 360 with the polaroid flash if I want auto flash?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can plug an 'automatic' flash with its own sensor into the jack on the Polaroid front shutter housing. If you take your finger off the shutter button right away after the shutter opens and the flash fires the shutter will close. That is your X-synch speed

Here is a breakdown on the apertures available to the 250 (yours may be similar):
    (there are two adjustments that change the aperture, INDOOR/OUTDOOR and the film speed)
    Focal length: 114mm
    Format diagonal: 120mm
    Optimum aperture for format: f20

Wide Open: F 8.4 (measured. Specs are F 8.8 per the manual)
    300 - Indoors: F 12.6
    75 - Outdoors: F 19
    150 - Outdoors: F 25.3
    300- Outdoors: F 39
    3000 - Outdoors: F 50

I set my flash for f22 and the camera for either f19 or f25 (based on the above table) , depending on if the pictures are a little light or a little dark.

Last edited by ic-racer; 04-11-2012 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you get wide open? The above settings don't list that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    3000, 150 and 75 "Indoors" all seem about the same (wide open). You can easily adjust the knob and lever to see which opening in the wheel is biggest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an older Nissin 5000GW Pro flash that looks a lot like the picture above. I plugged it in via the PC cord and shot this photo.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=52114

And I used my AB400 with a Larson 4x6 softbox and shot this one last week as well, I held the shutter open a little longer for more ambient light which caused the blurr. I still haven't perfected the use of a flash with my 250/420 or 104...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 530172_10150905157893852_734633851_12725168_1578537079_n.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh ok. The aperture is totally manual! I don't have a camera yet but I saw some pictures of the lens board guts and it looks like one or two of the dials is mechanically linked to an aperture disk which means the camera has no control over aperture, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shaocaholica View Post
    Oh ok. The aperture is totally manual! I don't have a camera yet but I saw some pictures of the lens board guts and it looks like one or two of the dials is mechanically linked to an aperture disk which means the camera has no control over aperture, right?
    Yes that it right. It is what is commonly called "Aperture Preferred" automatic exposure. You set the aperture and the camera determines the shutter speed electronically. Each film speed only gives you two choices of aperture, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do the folder polaroids (250, 360, etc) take screw in front filters?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin