Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,940   Online: 788

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Impossible Project

Is anyone using their films? I have tried the Silver Shade in both the 600 & Spectra cameras, 2 packs in each. And I just load pack number 3 of Color Shade in the Spectra.

So far the dark slide has jams on all of packs and the sometimes the film too when the camera tries to eject either. Playing with the film in a changing bag it fell as if the slide is catching an edge in carriages. Again it happened with both cameras.

Also the quality of my image is nowhere near any of the arty-fartsy images on the Impossible Project sites.

I was just wounding what kind of results other that have tried the films where getting and if they had positive or negative results. So far out of 6 packs of film I have gotten 10 Ok shots and only 2 nice arty-fartsy shots. I am having mostly negative feelings tore Impossible Project at this point.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I eagerly bought two packets of the initial release. None of those pictures survive today - The either faded instantly, and then once I had figured out they needed to be shielded from light as they emerge, subsequent pictures were destroyed by an interesting crystal growth. Kind of entertaining, mostly just annoying/expensive. Two years ago, I visited their shop in Vienna, and left without buying anything, which is not my normal camera shop practice. Subsequent improvements to the technology have not left me brimming with confidence. I really wish their product was any good - I would actually buy some.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I say again......... The emperor has no clothes.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am impressed with their progress so far. They have managed to reinvent Polaroid film from the ground up with virtually nothing to go on. That's a major feat for which they deserve a round of applause.

I am watching. Progress has been made and, from all accounts, progress seems to be continuing. I am optimistic that it will get better.

However, as impressed as I am and as optimistic as I feel, I'm just not ready to spend money on a product that "isn't quite right."

I would like to try some just to see for myself but, I have too many cameras to feed and not enough time and money to feed them all. If I get some money burning a hole in my pocket, I'll buy some but I'm okay with waiting for a while longer.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had the privilege of testing their latest film for 600 cameras. It's nothing like the old 600 film, but it's a lot better than previous batches. Here's a sample shot: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCAN005.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	537.1 KB 
ID:	50025

This was taken with the exposure adjustment wheel to "darken", and it was shielded as it ejected.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gentlemen;

They have the formulas for emulsions and coatings, they have all of the information about chemicals. Re-creation is not simple. I don not denigrate their efforts, I merely state that with all of the information, they are not there yet. This should show you that they are not there yet and how hard it is to restart a line. IMHO, it also says don't waste your money. Let them waste theirs!

Buy it when it is ready.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have tried several times to feed my sprectra camera. the last time I used the film it did fine...put it in the draw and it became mottled after a while. now I'm all for supporting the venture but several hundred dollars later have little to show for my worth. there is a kit they sell separate for the mottling and if you go to nyc they have a space where they teach you how to use the film properly...I will try it again though....
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should not have to be "taught" how to use a commercial product that has antecendents. It should work OTOTB.

Pe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't know that they had all the formulas. I thought they had the equipment and somebody had reverse engineered the film.
    It's good to know that they have the information.

As I said, I'm not ready to buy yet but, IF I did buy today, it would be because I am curious to see how the product has progressed so far and it would be because I want to support the project.
    I wouldn't expect it to be perfect but, for the money I would pay, I expect them to try their damnedest to make it as perfect as possible.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used most of their films at least once. After a number of failed color SX-70 films, they had a remarkable film in their first ASA 600 color film, the "beta" PX680 test film that came out about a year ago. Those still look like I just shot them yesterday. However, every subsequent film has something a bit more to be desired. Their latest release, the "Cool" films, are simply the existing formulations with all the components cold-stored at every single step in production.

For whatever reason, their Spectra films seem to be some of the best, rather than the 600 and SX-70 films.

I like to buy a couple packs every few months (maybe 3-4 times a year) and use them sparingly, but always for fun. I am really pulling for their success and will promote their efforts as much as possible... just not with the full force of my wallet (which isn't very forceful to begin with, if you catch my drift.)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin