Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,148   Online: 983

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minox Thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Few years ago , I had been sent a e mail to Kiev Ukraine Arsenal factory and above Minox Copies price was 16 dollars at the factory. Kiev 88 Kit with 80 mm lens , two backs , prism finder , leather bag and color filters was 170 dollars. How I am silly , I thought they will produce for decades but they have been closed instantly.
    I so wish that they still made cameras too!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was browsing ebay and it seems most if not nearly all Minox cameras have bids placed upon them....Are they all being bought to sit on a shelf or will they get used? Who is buying them up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I'm confused, is this thread about the 8x11mm Walter Zapp Minox cameras, or the Minox 35 cameras?

I have 3 or 4 Minox III and IIIs cameras, 3 or 4 Minox B, a broken Minox C. I have 4 Minox film developing tanks, two Jobo 35mm reels modified (cut down) for Minox 8x11 film, a Minox enlarger, and a couple of different film slitters. Using the Minox is fun.

My favorite is the Minox III (or IIIs) because it is so small. I am not that good at estimating exposure, so I do carry a light meter with me when I use it, usually.

I just broke my best and most-used Minox B camera. I was advancing the film and the end with the selenium cell just came off in my hand, and little bits and pieces of the meter went flying. I went ahead and finished that roll of Minopan 25 anyway. I need to send that B off for repair now.

I just loaded some Adox KB14 in one of my Minox III and some T-Max 400 in another. Working through them slowly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had started this threat with the 8x11mm cameras in mind...but either way.....Sounds cool SkipA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had a Minox B for many years but I never develop the film! I think I have a bag somewhere with a bunch of exposed rolls in it. I know I have a stainless reel somewhere too and if I find it I plan on using the camera more. They are fun cameras. You really can't do anything serious with them but sometimes enjoying photography is more important. I have an Atoron too.

I recently purchased a Minox 35 EL and after sorting the battery issue (I just used 4 544 cells with a paper insulator) I can't believe how good the lens is. I am a Leica and Contax user too just so you know I am not overrating it. I am not a big fan of the guess focusing but for most things it is accurate enough and on the upside, you get an image when you press the shutter which can't be said for most point and shoots. I made one of those arm-length-two-eye-distance-scale things I saw here a while back in case I need it. It is a great pocket camera. I have a bunch of point and shoots and I think the quality of it is about as good as can be had. The only lenses I have seen that are marginally better are in the super premium compacts like the Minilux or the T3. I read that Minox used Leica glass to make the lenses and I would believe it. It does have a bit of the Leica tonality and character to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It such a short piece of film, M. Lointain, that I believe you could just develop it in open trays in total darkness like you would sheet film.

The nice thing about using the Minox daylight developing tank is that it requires only 53ml of developer. I prefer it for b&w film, but I prefer the Jobo 8x11 reel for color film. I don't know if you can still buy the Jobo 8x11 reel. It was based on a modified 35mm reel, produced a few years ago by 8x11film.com and Minox, I believe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Lointain View Post
    I am not a big fan of the guess focusing but for most things it is accurate enough and on the upside, you get an image when you press the shutter which can't be said for most point and shoots. I made one of those arm-length-two-eye-distance-scale things I saw here a while back in case I need it.
    When I first learned about the Minox cameras, I was surprised that they expected us to be human rangefinders since the camera are so precise and advanced in other ways besides the focusing. I enjoy it though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    When I first learned about the Minox cameras, I was surprised that they expected us to be human rangefinders since the camera are so precise and advanced in other ways besides the focusing. I enjoy it though
    Don't know about the other models, but my Minox B has a series of beads on the chain that comes with it that correspond to the close-in focus marks -- handy when you're surreptitiously snapping enemy documents on a covert operation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A small handheld light meter with a built-in laser rangefinder would be very handy for Minox users. The rangefinder would only need to be able to measure from 8 inches to 12 feet. Take a reflected light reading and measure distance to subject at the same time, or take an incident light reading and then measure the distance separately. Of course, the measuring chain is likely to be easier to use within 8 inches to 2 feet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what I used to make the distance scale. I simply taped it to the back bottom of the Minox 35. It is easy to use although I am pretty good at judging distances. After a few feet all you have to do is get the focus close. It is more difficult in low light and inside 10 feet. Outside it is almost impossible to screw up.

http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin