Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,998   Online: 676

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

partially blocked out polaroid pictures

Hi there. I have a question regarding my polaroid camera.
    its a Land 103, and pretty old, but still works. a friend of mine recently fixed it up for me, and it worked perfectly. im going to be using it in a project i am organising soon. I tested it out the other day, took a picture perfectly. i took another picture and it was fine too. but after about the 3rd or 4th picture, the picture was about 3 quarters of an inch blacked out on the right hand side. it worked fine a few weeks ago too, and got lots of shots. the film is expired, but it has been in foil, and never opened. so today, i put in a new film, and the first picture that came out, same thing again.
    its a perfectly straight block of just blackness, cant even vaguely make out the image underneath and its just under an inch on the pictures, inside the white border polaroid film has.

does anyone know what this could be and how to fix it?? will be starting my project in a few weeks. my film has ten exposures, and ive 3 other films of 10 exposures left. i want to get portraits of about 8 - 10 people , and will have approximately 3 goes to get each person, so im trying to spare as much film as possible.

thanks in advance!!! any help appreciated!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, it will be a bit of a hit-or-miss situation. You are depending on expired chemicals spreading evenly, and from my experience there is not a whole lot one can do about it. Creating a project from a limited supply of expired Polaroid material is a chancy thing -- as you are discovering. If the chemicals do not spread evenly, then there is no development in the areas that do not get the chemical -- thus the black.

I have had similar results from expired Type 55. Only thing I can think of is that if you get a good image in one or two tries, save the third one for the next portrait. That and embrace the "mistakes" and include them in your project if there is any image at all.

I have some Type 69 that is bad because it was kept flat for too many years and the pressure of the pods on the film above and below it has caused discolored prints -- found out way too late that the boxes need to be kept up-right on its short end...fortunately this problem does not seem to extend to the Type 55 (so far).

Check your rollers to make sure they stay clean. I have not heard of anyone "massaging" the chemical pods -- but who knows, perhaps that would help, though there are chances of popping the pod, which would nasty.

Good luck!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have any scans of the images? Uneven developer spread would come out white, so that's not the problem.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...its a perfectly straight block of just blackness...
    Uneven developer spread would come out white...
    And, uneven developer spread is just that, 'streaky uneven.'
    I'm trying to think it's something remaining in the image path, but darned if can nail it.

You've ensured that all of the trailing paper is coming out fully as you pull each image?

Marc

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    ... Uneven developer spread would come out white, so that's not the problem.
    I am not so sure of that. No developer, means no image, means black on the print. I would think it would act just like a shadow area that got no exposure.

But I have been wrong many times before!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No developer, means no image, means black on the print
    Nope, I'll bet a bunch, Nick has it nailed correctly.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Nope, I'll bet a bunch, Nick has it nailed correctly.
    Then I was right that I was wrong! So that makes it even more curious to me as to the problem!

I use Type 55, so unspread goop yields black on my darkroom prints from the Type 55 negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...unspread goop yields black on my darkroom prints from the Type 55 negative.
    Okay...I'm sure it's probably true for the Type-55 [negative] in the darkroom.

I finally found an example showing 'empty white' on a Polaroid [positive].
    However, the post doesn't indicate the specific type of Polaroid film.

Also, If the chemical pods dry out or break on the Fuji pack films available today,
    same thing...blank white.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gallery-girl/6345790669/
    Last edited by Marc B.; 05-11-2012 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    Ursula,

It would be nice to know exactly what instant film you are using

Shooter
    35mm
    Incomplete developer spread with Kodak Instant/Fuji Instax type film will produce white areas. Incomplete developer spread with Polaroid SX-70 type films will result in dark areas. With peel-apart films, incomplete spread will result in a white area on the positive print. We need to find out exactly what film the original poster is trying to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin