Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,374   Online: 870

Shooter
    35mm

110 camera question - Vivitar 845

(A submini forum doesn't exist, so I'm putting this here. Please move if it's in the wrong forum.)

I was just given a Vivitar 845 that takes 110 film. Given the recent Lomography announcement it looks like 110 film may be somewhat more available than it has been.

That said, if I do shoot with this camera, it's likely going to be more cost-effect to reload with either 16mm film or cut-down 35mm.

The Vivitar 845 has an automatic film winder. My question to anyone who has used this camera - is this winder dependent on the sprocket holes in the 110 film? This could be a problem with the reloading approach.

Thanks!
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not familiar with the Vivitar model, but can offer some general pointers: First I would check the interior of the camera closely for any pins that are pressed down when a cartridge is inserted (besides the sprocket pin). If the camera appears to fire and advance properly with no cartridge (even while the sprocket pin is depressed with your thumb), the trick is often to file down whatever part of the cartridge depresses the extra pin, so as to fool the camera to think it is empty. On many common Kodak Ektralite 10 models, for example, the pin is depressed by the feed side of the cartridge, thus you would need to file down the cartridge as illustrated here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9645031@N07/7262261286/ On the Minolta SLR, the only notch required is a small one on the ridge under the frame area of the cartridge. On the Pentax auto 110's, no notch at all is required. So, you see it varies by camera model. And, yes, it is possible that there is no additional pin at all besides the main sprocket pin and/or the ASA speed detection pin on the right side, which may make the use of non-perf film nearly impossible. Only a close examination of your camera and some experimentation can determine that for sure. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the price of a couple new 110 films you can get a Minolta 16 which is not only all metal, it can be easily re-loaded with 16mm negative film. (100 feet for $20 from Kodak http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsu...ctID.228437200)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin