Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,316   Online: 1190

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holga/Diana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    diana- no light leaks, plastic lens, sharper than holga, pinhole setting in addition to regular apertures,
    holga- light leaks you can't explain, no pinhole on standard model, plastic lens,

i prefer the diana, we're talking the recent version, not from the 70's.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    diana- no light leaks, plastic lens, sharper than holga, pinhole setting in addition to regular apertures,
    holga- light leaks you can't explain, no pinhole on standard model, plastic lens,

i prefer the diana, we're talking the recent version, not from the 70's.
    but who wants sharper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    but who wants sharper?
    me, I guess. I just never got an image that I considered usable from my holgas (when they were $15, not $30). There was always some nasty light leak or flare that I couldn't get rid of. Others seem to do some nice work with them.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    but who wants sharper?
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    me, I guess. I just never got an image that I considered usable from my holgas (when they were $15, not $30). There was always some nasty light leak or flare that I couldn't get rid of. Others seem to do some nice work with them.
    One thing my Holga taught me was that shooting for effect, by choosing a certain lens or anything else in the system, is just fine.

The motivation for me to use a Holga for it's effect is no different than me choosing to break out one of my Nikons or my RB with the 150SF, or my Toyo 4x5 for their effects.

These differing tools allow me to define different artistic results at the camera.

Ansel Adams' would be no stranger to this thought. Part of his motivation for the zone system was to make his printing easier. Similarly large format cameras provided an effect that he wanted, everything sharp in the print; the expected result dictated the process.

On the flip side of sharp was the whole soft focus movement, this was an interesting read for me, http://research-repository.st-andrew...ndle/10023/505

Style is a choice, sharp edge to edge is simply one of the possible choices.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well everyone, thank you for all the great responses! I got the complete history of Holga and Diana.
    I have a Holga on the way! And a Diana is next in line. At least these "fine" instruments don't break the bank. Should be some fun!

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good Luck with your new tool, wish you tons of fun,

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    current diana is a remake with different frame sizes from the original, also an interchangable lens that includes three f-stops and a pinhole option (or 4th f-stop if you leave the lens on). The plastic lens on it has been designed to try to mimic the really crapy lens on the original and does to a bit too well -- it's as a bit of astigmatism along with being a tad soft-focus like.

the holga is just a plastic crapola camera with a plastic lens -- its images are sharp in the center and soften a bit towards the ends and has a bit of vignetting .. i think its images are a bit more pleasing than the new diana.

the new diana also has a telephoto option ...holgas claim to have light leaks as a feature, but i think most of them are internal reflections that I have cured using carefully applied flat black flocking/paint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    ...holgas claim to have light leaks as a feature, but i think most of them are internal reflections that I have cured using carefully applied flat black flocking/paint.
    I agree on the reflection idea.

I pulled the masks out, used aquarium tubing to protect the film where the mask used to, then used black bookmakers tape to blackout the inside. I used the bookmakers tape to make a flap to protect/shade the red window outside. I also added some weather strip foam in the roll compartments to keep the film snug.

These mods seem to have solved the stray light issues.

The other thing I did was to tape the bulb switch in the normal position, it sucks to run around shooting oblivious to the fact that you are in bulb.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it is also worth noting that while the holga has a switch that seems to indicate it changes the aperature from sunny to cloudy, it doesn't do squat. If you are a tad handy you can take the camera apart and install a smaller lens opening on it so it actually does something.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Is that a real poncho . . . I mean is that a Mexican poncho or is that a Sears poncho?" - Frank Zappa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin