Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,777   Online: 1266

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holga/Diana

Shooter
    Multi Format

Holga/Diana

Can anyone explain to me the real differences between a Holga and a Diana? Which do you prefer and why?
    I've never seen or handled either, other than a couple pics somewhere. They look like fun! Reading in this forum has been great...
    Thanks,
    2bits

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Steichen said the photographer hasn't been born yet who has exhausted the possibilities of the cheapest camera. These cameras were invented to prove that saying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diana camera was initially produced in 1960s and was not being perceived as a cool or fashionable camera at that time. 1960s' favorable cameras are probably Japanese SLRs.
    Holga was produced in 1980s and continuously being produced up to now. I believe that the toy camera movement is really started with Holga 120 in about mid 1990s.

Current Diana is a copy of old Diana 40 or 50 years ago. Unless you find an original Diana which is very desirable also as a collectible, otherwise I would get a Holga, if given a choice.
    Last edited by bwfans; 06-29-2012 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is one a pinhole and the other a plastic lens?
    Thx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    Is one a pinhole and the other a plastic lens?
    Thx
    Neither is a pinhole in the standard version, though there might be one made (there are now several versions of the Holga, including funky colors). Some Holgas even have glass lenses, I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The most normal is plastic lens I believe for both. Glass is a Holga option, as is pinhole, and there are stereo Holgas.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_sea...lga&rfnp=1800&
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Neither is a pinhole in the standard version, though there might be one made (there are now several versions of the Holga, including funky colors). Some Holgas even have glass lenses, I think.
    There are 120 and 35mm Holgas with glass, pinhole and plastic lenses. Not sure about zone plate. I have a pretty good 120 pinhole.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recall photo teachers getting cartons of Diana's I think we are talking late 70's early 80's...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For some photos i prefer the Diana both the original and the new one and for some the Holga. All three are made of Plastic and all three are toy camers and that's were the similarities end. The Holga produces in my opinion a completely different look to the diana. The Diana both models have a strong lens coma the Holga has a more or less sharp center then gets a lot softer. The 4x4 insert in the Holga removes the vignetting and sometimes the light leaks a shame if you ask me, so I don't use the insert. The Diana (original) is a native 4x4 camera that often vignettes and has strong off center coma. The new Diana has a strong of center coma and I believe is a little sharper than the original (I prefer the original), the new diana also offers the pinhole option and interchangeable lenses. I use the new diana mainly for pinhole work. Both the Original Diana and the Holga are cameras that produce dream or more psychological, personal (I don't know what other word to use) images. Day to Day diary cameras. It's also harder to create good pictures with Toycameras than with normal cameras. The thougthless picture taking process that lomography propagates is very anti toycamera.

Dominik

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    MDR has some good explanations. I agree with most.

The original Diana is rather unique in the way it renders an image.
    The Diana F+ is nothing like it - but the shutter is more reliable... (I sometimes think the new Diana is a Holga in disguise..)

An old add for Holga stated:

HOLGA:
    son of Diana...

there you go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin