Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,292   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

New55 -- Coming Soon?

I remember hearing about New55 shortly after the Impossible Project started in earnest. I didn't hear much else about it, and didn't think anything of it either---then I got a 4x5 camera and some old stock Type 55 and can't wait.

The blog for the project has started to ramp up, so I'm thinking we may be close to a launch. The posts are very vague and I have yet to see a new55 envelope anywhere on the web (just scans of the negatives, which could just as easily be made in Instagram on an iPhone), so I can't help but think this may be just a huge scam.

What do you think? Will we see an order page on the new55 site before year's end, is this just the game of a charlatan, or are we somewhere in the middle?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoy shooting Impossible Color Shade and Silver Shade films for casual fun snapshots in my SX-70, but they are nothing at all like former Polaroid films. They are low in contrast and not especially high in resolution. If Impossible makes a new 55, I very much doubt it will bear any resemblance to the Polaroid Type 55. If I'm wrong, I'll buy it, otherwise I will have no interest. I'm not much interested in the lomography aesthetic, which is what Impossible appears to be targeting with their current products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you asked the folks at New55? I'd ask before calling them unkind names and accuse them of unkind things..

Regarding the Impossible Project, they seem to have been working and producing. I'm not excited enough about the price or quality to buy and experiment with it, but they seem to be dedicated to their goal.

Regarding T-55... it was OK but I still can't understand the worship it gets. Load some film holders with FP-4 and shoot your heart out!
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 08-11-2012 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected error about presumed relationship with Impossible Project

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wasn't aware that New55 was associated with the impossible project
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You appear to be correct Mr. Smith. My mistake. I alsways seem to blend them together in my mind.

http://new55project.blogspot.com/

http://the-impossible-project.com/

My sentiment remains, though, about unkind words and thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Have you asked the folks at New55? I'd ask before calling them unkind names and accuse them of unkind things..
    Very good point, it was wrong for me to call them charlatans. And regarding FP4, you're certainly right---film holders are cheap and so is sheet film (in comparison to type 55 anyway), but the instant positive AND negative is very intriguing to me.

Not only to judge exposure and lighting as how it was used in the past frequently, but also to instantly see how a particular negative may print. With New55 anyway, you get a positive and negative, you don't have to choose which is most important (development is the same for both, and they are rated at the same speed, unlike Type 55).

A print within 2 minutes is something that's kind of amazing, even in today's digital world. I certainly hope New55 is real. I suppose I just have my doubts; New55 isn't being as transparent about their process and invention as The Impossible Project has been. Perhaps that's a good thing; when it's ready we'll have a more finished product than Impossible film has proven to be.

I hope Impossible tries harder to recreate Polaroid film and not just satisfy hipsters. Urban Outfitters won't be cool forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

Regarding the Impossible Project, they seem to have been working and producing. I'm not excited enough about the price or quality to buy and experiment with it, but they seem to be dedicated to their goal.

Regarding T-55... it was OK but I still can't understand the worship it gets. Load some film holders with FP-4 and shoot your heart out!
    Ok, I'd never heard of New55 until this thread. From my misreading of the OP, I arrived at the incorrect conclusion that New55 was an undertaking of the Impossible Project. I am better educated now, and I realize it is not. Mea Culpa.

BrianShaw, I said nothing unkind in the rest of my post. I am a buyer and a user of Impossible Project Silver Shade and Color Shade instant film, so I am qualified to express my opinion of those products. My remarks about contrast and resolution of the Impossible films is completely true. If you don't believe me, try some yourself. That the Impossible Project appears to be designing their product to appeal to lomographers is just my opinion based on my experience with the product. Notice I said "appears". If they are actually targeting conventional Polaroid users, the kind of people that now use Fuji Instant film or nothing at all, then they are missing the mark. One of the founders, Dr. Florian Kaps, is a former leading manager of the Lomographic Society. It is not hard to imagine that the lomographic aesthetic would factor into their product development. I am not saying this is wrong or bad, only that it's not going to appeal to the same people who own most of the Polaroid cameras that are in existence. Sadly, most of those people likely couldn't afford the IP film, even if it was similar to Polaroid film.

I also did not say that New55 would be a bad product. I said if Impossible makes a new 55, I very much doubt it will bear any resemblance to the Polaroid Type 55, and I won't have any interest in it.

Not an unkind word in my entire post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    BrianShaw, I said nothing unkind in the rest of my post. ...
    Not an unkind word in my entire post.
    I wasn't referring to you Skip. Sorry you thought that... the comment was not intended for you. I should have been more specific.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    ... but the instant positive AND negative is very intriguing to me.

(snip)

I hope Impossible tries harder to recreate Polaroid film and not just satisfy hipsters. Urban Outfitters won't be cool forever.
    Given the difference in "speed" between the T-55 pos and neg it never really was possible to get both at the same time. The concept was excellent and when I used T-55 I'd expose for the neg and use the "almost good enough" pos to verify that I hadn't kicked the tripod or forgotten to focus.

If New55 can really pull off both pos and neg at same speed that would be a real improvement over the former Polaroid product.

Re: Impossible... I hope that too. I think they seem interested in refining the product (and I hope the price too). As Skip said, they aren't quite there yet for many of us former Polaroid users.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 08-11-2012 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The improvements claimed by New55 are pretty cool...coaterless prints, no choosing between pos and neg, and clearing with standard fixer (presumably a hardening fixer, but I don't think they specify). I can't wait until we see it! $6 is a decent price, much less than old stock Type 55 is going for on eBay.

I'm not so sure Impossible is intent on improving their film quality and price. They're embracing the "quality" it produces fully in their marketing. I hope they eventually release a true 600/SX-70 replacement, but I'm not holding my breath waiting. And they're marketing it as a couture item, that justifies the hefty price premium in their mind. I haven't bought any, and I doubt I will until they figure out a way to give me at least 10 exposures for my $30.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin