Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,674   Online: 1198

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just because people have and will buy iphones doesn't mean there's a market for this - seems a bit speculative to be honest.
    why would the people that can take fake polaroid images and then print them off as many times as they want for almost zero cost pay 200 then another 2.5 per image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    There are a lot of iPhone users. Probably a sizeable number of people who already use IP film also have an iPhone.

It makes sense to me. The guts of the thing is the FPU (film processing unit). A camera can be built around it, and they will probably do that too, but the market for a new instant film camera is likely much smaller than the market for the iPhone printer. They'll need money to come up with other applications, so why not target a large market for your first rollout?
    but those that have both will just use their cameras surely and not wast the expensive film on printing a digital file they could print otherwise?

the FPU unit - you mean a set of rollers? the ejection mechanism needs to be linked to mirror/shutter, so will need to be redesigned anyway... at further cost.

seems like a bit of bandwagoning in the hope of making a fast buck to me, I just hope it doesn't backfire is all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a bit more than a set of rollers, although perhaps not a whole lot more. It's the functional portion of the iPhone image copier, and it will be the core film handling element in any new product that IP chooses to design around it, such as a new instant camera.

The FPU is described here: http://www.the-impossible-project.co...cts/camera/fpu

I don't have an iPhone and I likely never will. I like instant cameras, and that is why I'm interested in this product, and hope it sells very well. I want this product to make lots of money for IP so they can invest in more R&D and come out with new instant film cameras, hopefully ones with hiqh quality optics, and with selectable automatic exposure or full manual modes. Autofocus and auto-exposure would be desirable for most people. A high end interchangeable lens manual focus camera with either a Leica M-mount or Nikon mount would be great too.

If the iPhone printer sells well, then IP will sell more film, and the costs per image could come down to the point that more people will be able to afford it, which may spur further development and more users, and so on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will be interesting to see how it sells. It does look like it could be adapted to a new instant camera.

hardware (cameras, etc.) isnt' really what's holding them (IP) back from more success. Mostly it's quality of the product, and price/value. If they could improve the quality of the film more, it would become more viable and useful. As it stands now, expired time-zero film is a better option for several reasons, IMNSHO.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree that film quality is their biggest problem, Ed. I bought several packs of their b&w and color instant films for my SX-70, and I was pretty disappointed in the results. Lack of saturation and sharpness are the biggest issues. The film is overly sensitive to light when ejected, and there are random emulsion and developing artifacts that suggest quality control problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a bit more than a set of rollers, although perhaps not a whole lot more. It's the functional portion of the iPhone image copier, and it will be the core film handling element in any new product that IP chooses to design around it, such as a new instant camera.
    from what I can see and have read from the link it's nothing more than the ejection mechanism, the rest seems to be done by the phone itself... but correct me if I'm wrong.

so with that in mind, the amount of work to turn it into a functioning camera (assuming the go for slr rather than say a rangefinder or tlr... pinhole?) makes it more of a hindrance than a help. Why would you limit yourself to having to retro fit the rest of the camera around what amounts to a small arm that pushes the film forward? Surely this is the last thing you need.

If the iPhone printer sells well, then IP will sell more film, and the costs per image could come down to the point that more people will be able to afford it, which may spur further development and more users, and so on.
    seems like a lot speculation to me, can't they just send someone out west to pan for gold?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Actually this is very good remark! You should send them an email with idea to make pinhole holder .
    It seems they had the idea themselves

http://www.the-impossible-project.co...camera/pinhole
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    from what I can see and have read from the link it's nothing more than the ejection mechanism, the rest seems to be done by the phone itself... but correct me if I'm wrong.
    There aren't a lot of details available yet, but yes, I believe you misunderstand the device. It is a camera, albeit a simple one. It has a film back, a manual shutter, and a fixed focus lens to collect the light from the phone screen.

This doesn't differ much from my 8x20 banquet camera with a shutterless lens mounted. They both have film loaded into a film holder. They both have a shutterless lens to gather the light. Both have a manual shutter or darkslide to start and stop the exposure. In the case of my banquet camera, I can pull the darkslide and use a hat as a shutter. The Impossible Instant Lab just has a darkslide and doesn't need the hat.

The iPhone app calculates the exposure time, displays the image, and notifies the user when the exposure is complete so he can close the shutter / darkslide on the Instant Lab. It can optionally apply special effects to the image. That is a little fancier than what the sun does by simply emitting light that is then reflected by the objects it strikes, but photographers regularly use light meters to calculate exposure values and use apertures, shutters, watches, timers, or counting to control the exposure. Not a great deal of difference, really.

so with that in mind, the amount of work to turn it into a functioning camera (assuming the go for slr rather than say a rangefinder or tlr... pinhole?) makes it more of a hindrance than a help. Why would you limit yourself to having to retro fit the rest of the camera around what amounts to a small arm that pushes the film forward? Surely this is the last thing you need.
    It's already a camera.

seems like a lot speculation to me, can't they just send someone out west to pan for gold?
    Hope, not speculation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There aren't a lot of details available yet, but yes, I believe you misunderstand the device. It is a camera, albeit a simple one. It has a film back, a manual shutter, and a fixed focus lens to collect the light from the phone screen.

This doesn't differ much from my 8x20 banquet camera with a shutterless lens mounted. They both have film loaded into a film holder. They both have a shutterless lens to gather the light. Both have a manual shutter or darkslide to start and stop the exposure. In the case of my banquet camera, I can pull the darkslide and use a hat as a shutter. The Impossible Instant Lab just has a darkslide and doesn't need the hat.

The iPhone app calculates the exposure time, displays the image, and notifies the user when the exposure is complete so he can close the shutter / darkslide on the Instant Lab. It can optionally apply special effects to the image. That is a little fancier than what the sun does by simply emitting light that is then reflected by the objects it strikes, but photographers regularly use light meters to calculate exposure values and use apertures, shutters, watches, timers, or counting to control the exposure. Not a great deal of difference, really.
    really?

if you believe it to already be a camera then I don't suppose there's much point continuing this discussion.
    it's a copy machine, plain and simple - one that is inefficient and uses poor quality materials, quite expensive too.

there are already better versions of it.

I say speculation because they are relying on the fad for iphone polaroids to continue long enough to make the cash they need, considering how quick these things come and go I'm betting against them.

this is also sidestepping what I think to be the real problem - the fact that he admits to wanting to use his iphone more than his polaroid, the polaroid that uses the film he wants you to buy and test for him, for quite a chunk of cash.

could you imagine Gerald Ford saying that while he likes his own car, he'd rather drive a GM, hell, or even ride a bike.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow!

That was fast!!

Early this week, monday, the amount donated was slightly under $190k ... now $391k...

Impressive!
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin