Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,255   Online: 745

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    From what TIP writes, the original idea was to make a camera and then they decided to do this device as a modular concept which will be used in the future also for a camera.

This device has a lens which, given the price, I hope is decent.

To obtain a simple camera they don't need much more: a light meter, a shutter, a diaphragm and a focusing helicoid.

A pinhole camera is a "camera" and does not even have a lens.

If this is not a camera, it's something very close to it.

I wish this project success as it is another brick in the rebuilding of interest for analogue materials. On the other hand, I hope that the success of TIP does not link analogue photography with lower quality, hipsters, "different at all costs", "retro at all cost" mentality in the general perception of the market.

The success of TIP, Lomography etc. in the long run can even jeopardise the reputation of all analogue photography materials as far as quality is concerned.
    Widespread misconceptions can be very harmful.

This is my only concern. Besides that, I hope they can sell many.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post

To obtain a simple camera they don't need much more: a light meter, a shutter, a diaphragm and a focusing helicoid.
    that's not a lot eh?

they also have to match all that to what they already have, which could end up meaning starting from scratch all over again...
    more expense and more R&D making this almost a complete waste of time when it comes to long term gain rather than a fast buck (which incidentally i have no doubt they will do, but is just another question mark over the motives they claimed to originally have).

the rest of your post I agree with

Shooter
    Multi Format
    seriously, though - why bother with a camera? There's already millions of SX-70 cameras out there that are at least as good as anything TIP is likely to come up with (and that's being generous). Regular SX-70s are already a great camera. Any camera is limited by the quality of their film, not the camera itself.

If they make some nice profit off this, hopefully they will pour that into improving the film product.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    seriously, though - why bother with a camera? There's already millions of SX-70 cameras out there
    You are missing the point - there are MANY millions of iPhones out there - as I said earlier, Apple sold almost 100 MILLION iPhones in the first quarter of this year alone. From '72 to '74 Polaroid only sold 700,000 SX-70 cameras; how many are still around?

They need to come up with a LARGE market for their film project. This sounds like a relatively simple experiment.
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 09-14-2012 at 06:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    christ this thing makes me vomit, not sure what's worse about the whole dreadful idea.

could be the fact that this thing has no market - aren't the people likely to use it already faking polaroids and then just print them off on a photoprinter, it's not like the thing is conveniant or that mobile...

Christ this brings me down, still hopefully they'll make it, some arseholes will buy it, the fad will pass and I can buy one on ebay for a steal, cut it to bits and use it as it should be used - as an analogue camera.
    The point is that people are NOT printing their pictures - very few at any rate. I think this is a very clever and imaginative way of re-imagining the Polaroid concept.

Well, they have their money; let's hope that they are able to sell a sizeable volume of devices and film. I have heard (some) good things about their attempts to improve the quality and permanence of their films. Maybe their dream was not impossible after all.

As for the rest of your bitter post... wow.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Only thing that amazes me is that people actually do purchase film for their polaroid cameras, not to bash on Impossible, they've done a great thing bringing that stuff back to life, but 20-25 eur för 8 polaroid shots... way out of my budget to shoot that too often, and I have a decent salary...
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    The point is that people are NOT printing their pictures - very few at any rate. I think this is a very clever and imaginative way of re-imagining the Polaroid concept.

Well, they have their money; let's hope that they are able to sell a sizeable volume of devices and film. I have heard (some) good things about their attempts to improve the quality and permanence of their films. Maybe their dream was not impossible after all.

As for the rest of your bitter post... wow.
    so if people aren't printing them then why try making them do so with a poor quality product?

I'll have to take your word at people not printing there pictures tho', my local supermarket has a helluva long line by one of them self printing things.

well I did admit to being bitter, but I believe my bitterness to be justly and righteously directed
    care to counter any of the points?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    well I did admit to being bitter, but I believe my bitterness to be justly and righteously directed
    care to counter any of the points?
    Not in the least. This is the Toy Cameras & Polaroid Cameras portion of the forums. What did you want to read?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Not in the least. This is the Toy Cameras & Polaroid Cameras portion of the forums. What did you want to read?
    eh? not sure I follow...

I, having made some points regarding the initial posting - all be they bitter and slightly rambling - would have expected some, you know, counter points. Especially as this is, as you so rightly pointed out, a forum (presumably one for discussing stuff).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your manner is belligerant and and your attitude is one of arrogance, himself, and that is why no one wishes to converse with you. Most people here enjoy reasonable and even spirited discourse, but are usually not looking for a fight.

No offense intended, but like someone who has a very bad body odor and is unaware of it, I thought you should know.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin