Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,510   Posts: 1,598,145   Online: 921

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a bit harsh on SkipA don't you think? while we might not agree and aside form a brief detour into ad hominem attacks, he/she 's opinion is no less valid than mine or yours...

(s)he seems to be able to make an argument in favour of his/her positon too, which I think helps considering we are having a discussion.

by no measure a troll

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    That's a bit harsh on SkipA don't you think? while we might not agree and aside form a brief detour into ad hominem attacks, he/she 's opinion is no less valid than mine or yours...

(s)he seems to be able to make an argument in favour of his/her positon too, which I think helps considering we are having a discussion.

by no measure a troll
    Very amusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Very amusing.
    we do our best

why do you think they aren't selling it as a film back too?*
    I guess they would need some sort of agreement with the major camera manufacturas to add the fittings to fit it to their cameras.

*sidestepping any issues of film quality compared to fuji pack film

Shooter
    35mm
    The news made its way on the first page of the internet site Repubblica.it, possibly the most read in Italy.

Video from Photokina

http://video.repubblica.it/tecno-e-s.../105739/104119
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    we do our best

why do you think they aren't selling it as a film back too?*
    I guess they would need some sort of agreement with the major camera manufacturas to add the fittings to fit it to their cameras.

*sidestepping any issues of film quality compared to fuji pack film
    I don't suppose they can pursue every idea at once, and I'm sure they'll pursue ideas with higher profit potential first.

Selling a new instant film back for MF and LF cameras probably doesn't make a lot of sense, considering that the market for such a device would be quite small. Who would buy it? Only a few amateur photraphers, hobbyists. Professional photographers are mostly shooting digital out of choice or necessity, and don't need instant film to check their setup and lighting. Pros who still shoot film at a customer's request likely use digital to check their lighting. They have no need for an instant film back either. Basically, there is no market for an instant film back for existing medium format film cameras. Some LF photographers might be interested in an Impossible film to fit a Polaroid 545 back, or a Fuji PA-45, but not an altogether new back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    but if that were true why do the few backs that exist sell for so much?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don' t know which backs in particular you are referring to. I would guess the Fuji PA-45 or Polaroid 550, since the Fuji pack film to fit these backs is still available. The normal dynamics of supply and demand are at work. The backs aren't available new, and few are available used. The ones that become available often sell for a high prices because that is what the market will bear. It doesn't mean there is enough demand to support a new product.

Edit: Or maybe it's the Fuji PA-145 and Polaroid 405 backs that fetch a high price? Film is still available for those backs (the Fuji pack films FP100C and FP3000B) but the holders are no longer made. So that would make sense. On the other hand, you can still buy a brand new Fuji PA-45 holder for $125, but the 4x5 sheet film is discontinued.
    Last edited by SkipA; 09-23-2012 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    nope, I mean the integral back (a random image taken from google images, not my blog or anyone I know) that was once used on scientific equipment.
    basically a polaroid version of this "innovative"* idea...

but anyway, you are right, but by that measure you can't then say that because there are lots of iphone users all of them/or a significant amount of them will buy it.

you can't apeal to numbers for one no more than I can for the other. Other factors are in play.

either way both products will be a niche item**, but the printer is more of gamble because the market doesn't already exist, it relies on the fact that an iphone will never change (a point you yourself raised) and that it will suddenly get people that don't print their pictures (thanks toffle) to suddenly begin to do so because their product is what, cool, interesting, new...

*cheap shot

**it's important to note that the funding has come from only 2000 (ish) people - not more, I imagine, than there are people that would buy just the back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one knows the future. It'll all play out in time. I hope Impossible is successful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin