Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,860   Online: 1097

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    127 Format
    Oh, I see. He deigned the Holga, not that he works as a Holga Designer.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pure hate by some here at Apug.org for Holga is astonishing. Earlier it was said that 200,000 of these are sold per year. That's 200,000 more people buying film folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was showing some students various cameras today, and one of them was the holga. The second after i passed it over and turned around to speak to another student, it fell apart in the hands of the kid!. Both side locks and back was off, in his panic he forced the back door back upside down and somehow jammed it in. Took me awhile after class to get it out, but it was kinda funny.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    With Instagram and other iPhone programs emulating that cool/retro/hipster look it's inevitable the sales will suffer as many will tire of the fad or find that iPhone Holga-simulated images will be "good enough". At some point Holga will announce they are ceasing production. Time to hoard up on Holgas to sell later for a big mark up? ha!
    Matthias Fiegl, one of the 'inventors' of the Lomography movement and now CEO of the Lomographic Society Internatial in Vienna, just recently talked about Instagram in an interview.
    He said that nowadays lots of the young start taking pictures with their smart phones, and so get in contact with Instagram. And by using Instagram they hear at first about Holga, Lomography and film. And they are getting curious: What is this 'film thing', which Instagram is trying to copy?
    So they get interested in the real stuff, the original, and want to try that out, too.
    Mr Fiegl said that Lomography gets quite a few new customers by Instagram.

It's like flying in a flight simulator: Almost perfect, but when you have learned your lessons in the simulator you want to fly in a real airplane.......

And is the "low-fidelity photography movement" with Holga and Lomo cameras really only a fad?
    I don't think so:
    The Holga was introduced 1982, 30 years ago, and is still going very strong. Gets even increasing interest in some important markets like China.
    Lomography was founded 1992, 20 years ago, and since then the number of Lomographers is continuously increasing, currently with a 15-20% growth rate p.a..

20-30 years is quite a long time for a "fad" .
    Probably the "low fidelity photo movement" is now an established part of photography, and will stay.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope Holga sales increase, no I do not own one. But as already said Holga owners buy film, what else can be said?
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    35mm
    Lomo recently reintroduced 110 film and a new 110 from Japan, Fukkatsu label is also being sold by some outlets. So I think film is here to stay, at least through online ordering. All my film, 120 and 35mm has to be ordered online but I can still get plenty, as much as I can afford.

Just yesterday on a walk I saw a young couple and the girl was just putting away a 35mm SLR into a bag. I was 50~60 feet away but you can always spot a film camera. As I walked past I commented on how nice to see a film camera in use and she said that she intended to continue with film until she couldn't buy any more. She and her guy were in their early 20's, no more than 25 years old for sure. Now I'm 63 but that little encounter made me feel just a little better for the rest of the day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Totally agree pen s, almost 65, and feel comfortable film will out last me. I also have to order all my film and on my last order earlier this week most of my favorites were sold out. When back in stock will get a bigger supply.
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    35mm
    The good thing about Holga 120 cameras is that they are so inexpensive. If you already have a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad or Mamiya 7 then adding a Holga would be small change. If, after a 2 or 3 rolls you find out your are not David Burnett you would not be out much money.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin