Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,309   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Holga designer on the future of Holga

The designer and manufacturer of Holga cameras

Lee Ting-mo:

"Our camera is using the film. But today there is no more [...?] film in the market. So our film-camera will also suffer the same. So I must find out some way to make our products still alive. For surviving we must do our best. Otherwise [...?] in this way we must [....?] everything possible. Of course, also must be practical."
    (sorry for the rudimentary transcription)

see also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fa05...yer_detailpage

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's an interesting push-pull here.

I've heard from retailers and labs both that a big part of their film business comes from people using Holgas. And in return, the prospect of Holgas requires there to be that film infrastructure there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are a bit late in the game, we've already discussed this topic here some weeks ago :

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...ies-holga.html

They are selling 200,000 Holga cameras each year, and have increasing demand from China. Looks like their customers don't have problems to find film to feed their Holgas....

Best regards,
    Henning

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I only checked the listing in the "toy" forum. Next time I'll do a more serious check in advance.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    hmm so the number one selling film camera... 10 million or so in the last 10 years--- I tend to doubt any changes coming.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm guessing these things are fairly indestructable? There must be a healthy second-hand market for them. Demand for new ones may be weakening?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm a Holga retailer and an enthusiastic Holga photographer. We just hosted Holga's 30th anniversary exhibition at our shop in San Francisco. The Holga has done phenomenally well for a kind-of-hard-to-use film camera. It went though a period of being very fashionable - lots of people bought Holgas and never used them - but now the fad has passed. We still sell plenty of Holgas, but I am sure that worldwide sales have flattened or decreased slightly over the past few years.

I think Mr. Lee is not talking so much about film cameras in general as much as the reality of his own business. Holga sales have flattened after a period of strong growth, so he's going to have to find another product with a wider appeal if he wants his company to grow. They have recently introduced some iphone add-ons, and it wouldn't surprise me if they made a digital Holga. That's what I would do.

Regarding film cameras and film sales in general, in our shop we are seeing steady and growing sales, especially with people in their 20s and 30s. It's not a lot of business, to be sure, but it's alive and kicking.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I'm guessing these things are fairly indestructable? There must be a healthy second-hand market for them. Demand for new ones may be weakening?
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    The Holga has done phenomenally well for a kind-of-hard-to-use film camera. It went though a period of being very fashionable - lots of people bought Holgas and never used them - but now the fad has passed. We still sell plenty of Holgas, ...
    Never saw a Holga on a fleamarket, neither any camera out of the Lomography circuit.

I've never came across anyone with a Holga, and only once someone with another camera out of the Lomography range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With Instagram and other iPhone programs emulating that cool/retro/hipster look it's inevitable the sales will suffer as many will tire of the fad or find that iPhone Holga-simulated images will be "good enough". At some point Holga will announce they are ceasing production. Time to hoard up on Holgas to sell later for a big mark up? ha!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    It went though a period of being very fashionable - lots of people bought Holgas and never used them - but now the fad has passed. We still sell plenty of Holgas, but I am sure that worldwide sales have flattened or decreased slightly over the past few years.
    wait 15 years --- it will be back
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin