Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,725   Online: 954

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Seconded on the Olympic Epic Stylus/Mju II. A great camera with wonderfully accurate autofocus, a sharp lens and a very sturdy design.
    Last edited by zenrhino; 10-22-2012 at 02:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mostly because I'm a dolt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotoobscura View Post
    I like the T35- (without the flash, at least). The price is awfully steep for a worn camera from 1984, but perhaps I'm drinking the wrong Kool Aid.

The IIA is a interesting little camera...However, I'm looking for a shooter that isn't quite that manual. Something I can spend only a few seconds to set up and take a shot...With that in mind my Rollei was quite manual and I could bang out a decent shot in about 5 seconds (of course I generally shoot 1600 at sunny 11/16's)

If I could get a compact camera that was AP like my Minolta AL-F I'd be in heaven! I'm more of a high iso shooter and flash is not mandatory..

Thanks for all the suggestions!...Checking all of this out..
    Bear in mind that's a single example found in a 30-second search on a single venue - Things like that turn up on Craigslist often for less money, and there's always KEH/B&H/Adorama. The price point on the Contax T is because they were premium cameras with class-leading optics and sometimes fancier features than other point-n-shoots of the time. I was going to point you toward a Minolta TC-1 but they're even more ridiculously expensive than the Contax T2/T3 and comparable Leica P&S cameras. They didn't sell well when they were new because they had a Minolta badge on a camera priced to compete with Leicas and Contaxes. Today, they're rare, so they're silly expensive (well north of $600, with collector-grade pieces priced around $1K). The selling points were A: they had titanium bodies, B: they had a 28mm lens instead of a 35mm so they were great travel cameras, and C: the lens had a manual aperture control with effectively waterhouse stops with perfectly round apertures, for better bokeh. If someone handed me one today I would be thrilled to death, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money for one. Same with a Nikon 35ti - They sell for over $350, most over $500. They were created to cater to a specific market (rich fools looking for a point-n-shoot camera they could still play one-upsmanship with).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This: http://mattsclassiccameras.com/gaf_memo35.html

and this: http://mattsclassiccameras.com/konica_c35.html

They are essentially the same, very cheap, and they have VF/RF. Pictures come out nice too, be it color or BW. Also, it is SMALL.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ha. I like your style.

That 35TI is pretty f*ckin' cool..Being a Nikon 35 shooter that's sort of an attractive option (I am far from the guy on the Yacht throwing jumbo shrimp off the bow because the marinade doesn't have enough truffle oil). There are a lot of options out there which is great. Also makes it a hard decision...I do like the idea of shooting 35 at 35mm. Although I could theoretically afford a pricier camera, I'm inclined to pay much less to offset the fear of having a $500+ camera in my pocket as a shooter. Much less painful to break or misplace a $100-200 range... By far The most expensive (and my favorite for 15+ years) SLRs I own are my vast collections of Nikon FE and FE2's (I literally have a dozen of these). So my comparisons of SLR's to P&S's are a bit off...

Lots to think about..Thanks for this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Bear in mind that's a single example found in a 30-second search on a single venue - Things like that turn up on Craigslist often for less money, and there's always KEH/B&H/Adorama. The price point on the Contax T is because they were premium cameras with class-leading optics and sometimes fancier features than other point-n-shoots of the time. I was going to point you toward a Minolta TC-1 but they're even more ridiculously expensive than the Contax T2/T3 and comparable Leica P&S cameras. They didn't sell well when they were new because they had a Minolta badge on a camera priced to compete with Leicas and Contaxes. Today, they're rare, so they're silly expensive (well north of $600, with collector-grade pieces priced around $1K). The selling points were A: they had titanium bodies, B: they had a 28mm lens instead of a 35mm so they were great travel cameras, and C: the lens had a manual aperture control with effectively waterhouse stops with perfectly round apertures, for better bokeh. If someone handed me one today I would be thrilled to death, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money for one. Same with a Nikon 35ti - They sell for over $350, most over $500. They were created to cater to a specific market (rich fools looking for a point-n-shoot camera they could still play one-upsmanship with).

Shooter
    35mm
    If your price range is $100-200 then the sky is the limit in terms of choice of camera. You'd need to check an aperture chart but set a folder on f16 and using a hyperfocal length of say 15 feet everything will be in focus from about 7.5 feet to infinity or if it is street/people shots then f11 will give you a massive range of distance and so becomes point and shoot

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nikon AF600 or called lite.touch something in america? (the skinny black one). excellent quality glass and fits in your pocket i take mine everywhere

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-AF60...item337d2c2fbe

Shooter
    35mm
    The original XA has rangefinder focusing and the XA2 has scale focusing and that makes them not Point and Shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

suggestions for a *small* point and shoot?

XA or the Mju mentioned above.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The Nikon AF600 is thinner than the Olympus Mju which has a bubble at the front, it's also got a wider but slower lens (28/3.5 vs 35/2.8).
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two Olympus XAs, one from new and the other recently purchased for £25 with the A11 flash. I've used various other Olympus rangefinders or viewfinders but the XA is easily the most versatile, as long as you don't need to use filters. The only problem I have with mine is that they both overexpose so I adjust the ISO setting to compensate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin