Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Received My Belair X 6-12 This Evening

Hello Folks

Well I got myself an early Christmas present in the mail this evening. Turns out my wife ordered me a Belair X 6-12 and it came early! Way cool. I'm such a lucky guy.

For those who don't know what this camera it, you can check out the Lomo microsite here:

http://microsites.lomography.com/belair/

I thought a few people on this forum might be interested to hear my first impressions of the camera. Keep in mind, I got the limited edition "Globetrotter" which I guess has slightly better build materials than the other two models. That being said, my first impressions are very favorable. I would say the sturdiness feels on par with a Lomo LC-A. It is certainly a toy camera, but it feels solid. Far better than a Holga but by no means an old Zeiss Ikon folder either.

The camera came packed in a nice presentation box with the camera body, two viewfinders, and two lenses wrapped in a black cloth. The viewfinder(s) itself is actually reasonably large and bright. It comes with two, a 90mm and a 58mm with the two interchangeable lenses to match. As one would expect from a toy camera, the lenses are mostly plastic but they do have a solid "snap" when you attach them to the body and they seem firmly set once attached. To my surprise the bellows are a pretty thick rubber material that feels like it will last awhile. The front of the camera extends very easily but it feels a little stiff and awkward when closing it back up again. It not unlike an old Polaroid Land camera in its feel and ergonomics, though it is considerably smaller.

The camera takes two button cell batteries which did not come with the camera. Opening the battery compartment was a bit of a bitch (I have very short finger nails) so hopefully I won't have to do that too often. I had to run to the store to buy some batteries and by the time I got home it was dark and not really a great way to run a test roll through the camera. I will say though it was easy to load a roll into it. It wasn't "holga like" in the sense that the roll of 120 felt firm and tight, not loose like is often the case with Holga cameras. Winding is a little clunky like pretty much every other toy camera out there.

I'm looking forward to making some images with this during my lunch hour tomorrow in daylight hours. Again, there is certainly no mistaking that this is a "toy camera" when you hold it in your hand. It is also by no means the size and shape of something you would be putting in your pocket. Given that it is a 6x12 format I would hope nobody would assume it could be. Overall though, I think I'm going to have fun with this!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I look forward to your first chromes.

Daniel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the shutter in the lens or within the body?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cool, show some pictures

Shooter
    Multi Format

Received My Belair X 6-12 This Evening

Any info on how the auto exposure works? Please post some pics of the lenses and mounts too!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Is the shutter in the lens or within the body?
    The shutter is in the body for sure. When you take the lens off the shutter blades are exposed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Any info on how the auto exposure works? Please post some pics of the lenses and mounts too!
    I will do so when I get home from work this evening and I will hopefully get the time to develop a roll from the camera this evening as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never really got why this camera is around, it just looks like an expensive Kodak Vest pocket camera but shoot a 120 film, i'm sure it will be good but I don't get this trend of expensive lomography cameras, surely the whole point is that they are 'cheap and cheerful', you can get a semi pro Nikon FM2n and a lens for the same amount as one of those or indeed about 4 or 5 Voigtlander Bessa cameras. Not knocking your camera choice, I just don't get it, its a bit like when someone spends over £20 on a standard Holga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are very few cameras that will shoot 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 afaik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    There are very few cameras that will shoot 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12 afaik
    Point taken, 6x12 is rather a large negative size lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin