Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,239   Online: 948

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The SX-70 Craze...

Quote Originally Posted by xya View Post
    the sx70 has been sold for $180 in 1972. "$180.00 in 1972 had the same buying power as $988.34 in 2012" ( http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm ).
    Well, after the seller agreed to refund my money on the SX70 with issues I bought, I turned around and bought another one.

It came with the original case and accessories, and also the original sales receipt from 1974. It was $152 then and I just paid $117 for it.

So I guess it depreciated then appreciated?!?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I might have been given a gift from the camera G_ds in that regard. I was talking to my Dad tonight and mentioned Polaroid and the Polaroids we had. As we talked he started looking around and found, I believe, the SX-70. He's going to ship it to me and I'll see what shape it's in. He also found another box which I'm hoping is the pack camera (he couldn't get to it so he'll have to see) fortunately I have deoxytive on order which I got to (hopefully) fix the Konica's battery pack that was also theirs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    impossible did not start from scratch, they had several people who work for them from the original polaroid, along with original materials, machines, etc. THey had a HUGE jump start. And even still, their stuff has basically sucked out loud up until now, and they had the balls to charge huge money for it even still. (and people bought it! WTF.) Expired TimeZero is/was a better choice. Not sure about the latest iteration of their stuff, maybe it's finally ready for prime time. They are good at marketeering, I'll give them that. But I have yet to see anything from them that's worth even half what they charge (e.g. the film). Hopefully soon though, I do want them to succeed (which means better product and lower prices).

The real crime is that Fuji discontinued FP100c45 and FP100B in general. Those were/are the best instant film product ever, I think.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was not even their idea to start that business.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I suppose those amongst us who are not hipsters are wishing for the days when film was dying and film gear was cheap, but there was still plenty of film to go around. Now, newcomers into film photography are driving up prices because of easily understood laws of supply and demand, and those newcomers are denigrated with the moniker of hipster. Can't have archaic and eat it, too.

~Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    LOL Joe
    Yes, it will mean higher prices but it also means they'll still be film..no demand -> no supply. I do agree though impossible project film is quite pricy. I bought a pack (with a 210 pack camera and that film) and it was >$20. The Fuji pack film is 1/2 the price and 120 film is < $5 for 12/16 exposures...the pack/impossible has only 10 exposures. One must be very careful about making instant film exposures...at a buck to two bucks per exposure it's not to be taken lightly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The SX-70 Craze...

Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    LOL Joe
    ...the pack/impossible has only 10 exposures. )

...8 exposures.

http://blog.the-impossible-project.c...s-why-8-photos

And it's $3 per exposure, and I have wasted $12 on faulty cameras in the last two weeks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow...that's no good Christopher....hopefully at some point they'll be able to charge less for it and still make money. It's even more expensive than I thought.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    The article Christopher links to explains that their film is cheaper now than Polaroid ever was. I've shot a bunch of it and am relatively new to the fray (coming from 35mm/120 film land) and so can be labeled a hipster if you wish. It's gotten better as time goes on (Impossible film), and the new Color Protection looks nearly as good as original Polaroid SX70/600 film I have.

It may seem to be splitting hairs but any product that isn't the Lomo brand ideaology (film = weird/crappy colors and/or plastic lensed relics) is welcome by me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just an update if you saw my above post it was not the SX-70 but a 640..the good news is the 640 works just fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin