Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,116   Online: 773

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The SX-70 Craze...

What is with it lately? Polaroid SX70's listed for $372?!?!?

I just picked up an original model for $60, but I'll have to re-skin it with new leather.

But what is with the price hikes lately?? Is the word getting out about Impossible, or is it just because of the (I hate using this word) "hipster" movement?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when you look at it, the SX-70 is really a good camera (heck, it's the only camera I know that can transform from a big hulking camera to something that can easily fit into your back), the only sad thing about it is that polaroid film died but at least we still have the impossible project that is consistantly improving with each new release.

I guess polaroid type photography (it's just like when it was with Lomography) is picking up again and it's natural for demands to be on the rise.

Though I think in some sense you're right about it being some "hipster" movement

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lately I was offered SX-70's at thrift shops still for a few Euros...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    just because of the (I hate using this word) "hipster" movement?
    I think also this is the root cause. Apug should start selling T-shirts with signs "I was shooting film while it was not hip" and similar

But on the good side - hipster and lomo movement are good - more film consumption is always good.

Shooter
    35mm
    As you say, I think one reason may be that Impossible film is getting better. Another reason may be that the folks over at the Film Photography Project are really pushing Polaroid right now (especially on their podcast).

There is a widely respected author/blogger in the woodworking world (focusing on hand tools in particular) named Christopher Schwarz. There's a joke that goes around that as soon as he finds an old tool he likes, ebay prices skyrocket because all of a sudden everyone wants one. Perhaps a similar effect is happening to Polaroid with FPP's encouragement?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The SX-70 Craze...

Impossible had to start from scratch in making their product. They had relatively little information from Polaroid to go on when they started. So, to raise capital, they've been making the test versions of their films available to the public with the understanding that these are not the final products. Of course some folks like them anyway, despite their flaws. I think many people are turned off Impossible because of the quality issues, but these have been meant to be "beta versions" anyway. If Impossible had waited until their products were perfect, it would have taken many years, and they would have had no capital and no cult following. I'm not an instant-film buff at all, but I think they've been genius to do this. :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's the hispters craze. The SX-70 is a nice camera in many respects but not worth $300. I wonder though isn't there enough demand to make new polaroid type cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I wonder though isn't there enough demand to make new polaroid type cameras?
    No. There is this Iphone polaroid attachment from impossible - that is all that you will see from new polaroid cameras.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I think it's the hispters craze. The SX-70 is a nice camera in many respects but not worth $300. I wonder though isn't there enough demand to make new polaroid type cameras?
    the sx70 has been sold for $180 in 1972. "$180.00 in 1972 had the same buying power as $988.34 in 2012" ( http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm ).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's because urban outfitters started selling impossible film.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin