Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,542   Online: 1368

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, the decision was taken (at presence of mother of my niece!). It is going to be SX-70 (or some of its variations - I need to look more into that) + TIP films. The very central reason is that the TIP films allow for alterations during development and that is what attract my niece most (she really has a crash on photography since about 6 months). The uncle will support the young artist with a couple of boxes of TIP film and a usable camera.

So - now I am out looking for a working SX-70 (and needing to lear more about it - there are several clones as far as I know).

EDIT: I do not seem to find any reasonable compilation on different SX-70. I would appreciate your help on which models are worth having a look at.

I should probably add; as the camera will be pretty much a present from me, but for technical reason will only be delivered in March, I will have a little time to use it too
    Last edited by Matus Kalisky; 12-29-2012 at 01:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Excellent choice....I'm sure she'll love it. The web site I mentioned has two available for $90us that were tested and verified operational. However, they're not the classic original SX-70 (we had one growing up) that I think is a better camera if you can find one in good working order. The ones they have are the one step type which don't give you as much control. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    everything you could possibly need to know
    except that that the SLR 680/690 are the same type as the sx-70 but use the 600 type film not the sx-70 types, well, that info is on there, but in a different section.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    except that that the SLR 680/690 are the same type as the sx-70 but use the 600 type film not the sx-70 types, well, that info is on there, but in a different section.
    Thanks, now is the reading time!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Polaroid for a teenager

nope meant that it takes the sx-70 film which is asa 100 (no?), sorry if that wasn't clear
    I thought you were saying "type 100" which is pack film/peel apart. Thus the misunderstanding

All clear now

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Polaroid for a teenager

That's helpful! Apparently I have the sonar yay!

Also the flash bars don't really exist anymore, you can get the TIP flash which is NOT a one time flash bar but a permanent reusable one, thank goodness!! It's expensive but probably worth considering.

Also be warned, she's 6 months into photography and you are waiting 3-ish months to give her this camera? Remember how quickly you moved onto the next toy at her age? Perhaps a camera NOW and more film and flash for May (or whatever month you had planned on). Just a suggestion.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone's suggestion is good about maybe camera now and film later, unless you hope she moves on and you get to keep the cam

Stone,

The cubes seem to crop up on ebay every now and again. I have one of the flash gun types in my attic, not sure of the model, but I can take a look if either of you are interested. without looking I can say it works with my sonar, so imagine it would work with most others too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Polaroid for a teenager

Stone's suggestion is good about maybe camera now and film later, unless you hope she moves on and you get to keep the cam

Stone,

The cubes seem to crop up on ebay every now and again. I have one of the flash gun types in my attic, not sure of the model, but I can take a look if either of you are interested. without looking I can say it works with my sonar, so imagine it would work with most others too.
    Haha

The flashes can be had but not reliably and it's just easier to buy a flash once.

~Stone

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is the SX-70 section of an alternative lay-out of that Land-List:

http://www.instantoptions.com/landlist/cameras/sx70/

I find it more clear than the original, though the types 680/690 are not registered under SX-70 (I never came across them anyway...)

Shooter
    35mm
    I realize that teenagers frequently go through 'retro' phases, but you really should ask yourself just how much money you should put into this 'phase'. Yes, TIP film is digitally manipulatable (digital=finger), but there are other ways of achieving similar manipulation (DPUG material). If you want to promote an interest in film photography, why not a film camera that's 'retro' like a Holga?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin