Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,715   Posts: 1,483,044   Online: 820

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Polaroid for a teenager

Hi,

niece of mine (13) who started recently with photography (even took a 1 week photo-course of some kind) would like to try a classical Polaroid. Now - I know that there are different models like SX-70, and different cameras in 600 format - what would be the best choice for her? I have personally never shot polaroid so I do not have any personal experience.

As far as I know there is just the impossible project as a source of film and it is not cheap, but I could get here a few packs to get the taste of it.

Are there any significant differences between the cameras? I would like to find something user friendly-ish if possible ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about something in the Polaroid 100, 200 series - peel-apart film is currently manufactured by fuji, it's a lot cheaper than the IP, and while it probably has a bigger learning curve than a OneStep point and shoot, she's trying to learn photography, right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you're looking for a cheaper option, there is always the 100-pack Land Cameras. They can take the cheaper Fuji FP-100C film, it's the peel apart kind of polaroid film. The only negative would be having to convert the camera to take AAA's or AA's, but that's fairly easy to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf2FAprpoaM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^and I think you can buy the correct battery for like $10 on amazon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks - I will look at the options mentioned. I do realize that on the long run (i.e. Christmas and birthday out of the way) would the 'classical' Polaroid not be feasible financially.

EDIT: Polaroid 250 could indeed be the solution. Let's see what she (and her mother ) thinks ..
    Last edited by Matus Kalisky; 12-27-2012 at 11:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But the look of an image arising at an integral film can't be beaten by a peel-apart film...

Plus, the true SX-70 is a SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The pack film ones are cheap and the sx-70 is expensive. If you can get the SX-70, get both!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy him instax mini - cheap and great film, nice cameras also, especially instax mini 50s black.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    or an instax wide, film and camera are as cheap, but photos are real size, not credit card.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    EDIT: Polaroid 250 could indeed be the solution. Let's see what she (and her mother ) thinks ..
    Highly recommend the 250. I have had the pack film cameras in various flavors, and this is the best one - IMO - that won't break the bank. It has the Zeiss viewfinder, which is not found on all models. And it's the only one I'm keeping...the 330 got sold a month ago.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin