Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,703   Posts: 1,548,471   Online: 877

Shooter
    Medium Format

Impossible Project color film - Not so instant

I ordered a pack of Impossible Color Protection film to test out a thrift store Polaroid OneStep that I picked up. I was kind of surprised when I found out it takes 30-40 minutes for the image to develop!

Wow... So if the image isn't exposed correctly I have to wait 30-40 minutes to see if I need to adjust the little slider. Obviously not practical. It also lacks the magic of handing somebody a print you just made in front of their eyes.

Nothing against those guys what they have done is an amazing story but to me I just don't see any point... If I keep shooting this camera I guess I'll go with the Silver Shade that seems to take less time to develop.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think the trade-off is that the new Color Protection film requires less light shielding than previous emulsions and has better color overall, but at the expense of a long development time.

When you consider that IP is trying to replicate the Polaroid integral film experience but with different, less toxic (and often less effective) chemicals, they're doing pretty well. I only wish the price point were lower.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I ordered a pack of Impossible Color Protection film to test out a thrift store Polaroid OneStep that I picked up. I was kind of surprised when I found out it takes 30-40 minutes for the image to develop!

Wow... So if the image isn't exposed correctly I have to wait 30-40 minutes to see if I need to adjust the little slider. Obviously not practical. It also lacks the magic of handing somebody a print you just made in front of their eyes.

Nothing against those guys what they have done is an amazing story but to me I just don't see any point... If I keep shooting this camera I guess I'll go with the Silver Shade that seems to take less time to develop.

Seriously, I don't want to rain on TIP but if you really wanted something more akin to the polaroid experience then maybe you could check out Fujifilm Instax series. I've been using their line of instant film and so far the feeling has been magically especially with the ladies~~~!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The Instax film is also fairly cheap in comparison to TIP.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bitnaut View Post
    The Instax film is also fairly cheap in comparison to TIP.
    and it is instant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    When you consider that IP is trying to replicate the Polaroid integral film experience but with different, less toxic (and often less effective) chemicals, they're doing pretty well. I only wish the price point were lower.

Jonathan
    I have not bought any IP film because of the price. I have thought, though, that it's really not out of line. When I bought my Wifa a SX-70 in 1973, film was about $8 for a pack of ten, and flash bars were about $2 for ten flashes. So, it came to $1 a photo if you used flash. Fast forward to today, and think what those prices would be! Makes the IP film packs look reasonable.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it will get better. At least now it is light sealed. I would not be surprised if soon they get is light proof and fast. That part of Polaroid film process they needed to do from scratch.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    I have not bought any IP film because of the price. I have thought, though, that it's really not out of line. When I bought my Wifa a SX-70 in 1973, film was about $8 for a pack of ten, and flash bars were about $2 for ten flashes. So, it came to $1 a photo if you used flash. Fast forward to today, and think what those prices would be! Makes the IP film packs look reasonable.
    you are right. "$1.00 in 1973 had the same buying power as $5.31 in 2012." source: http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    $3/exposure isn't cheap but I am OK with that... Even though the camera cost less than one single shot of film! And I am sure Impossible will keep improving their product. For me right now though I just can't imagine why I would shoot this film unless I decide to start doing emulsion lifts or something.

Really I'm just playing around waiting for something (anything) to re-emerge for 4x5 format. There are a couple of possibilities on the horizon it seems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin