Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 739

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Polaroid for once-again beginners.

Good afternoon.

A cousin of mine who is towards his forties, all of a sudden had a recall for the polaroids of his youth and asked me some advice. Frankly speaking I've never been a fan of polaroids so I have little knowledge of the entry-level cameras, and all the fuss obout instant film packs got me confused lately. I've read the "Polaroid for a teenager" thread, which seemed to fit my case as well, but it confused me even more: it seemed like everybody was suggesting something different for no apparent reason.

Was it me, I'd buy a Land 250 and use it with Fuji 100-C, full stop. But my cousin has little to zero knowledge of classic photography and I think he will not get accustomed to the 250 controls, and that camera is also on the expensive side. Moreover, I think he has in mind those Polaroids that ejected the paper from the front.

I suspect, however, that no decent film is being made for paper-ejecting polaroids, is that correct? I mean: aside from the Impossible Project. I am a big fan of the Impossible Project, but the pictures I've seen so far are much inferior to the ones taken with Fuji 100-C, and also I've read not good things on their stability. So I would rule them out for a man in his thirties who recalls great things about polaroids.

Is there any film pack of the "eject-type" paper still made by Fuji or similar "big" brands? If positive, which camera would you suggest as easy to use, with realiabel mechanics and also with a fairly decent lens?

Supposing the polaroid peel-type is instead the only real option, which camera would you suggest? I think he needs something cheaper than the 250, without telemeter and all these things he has probably never heard about, but still with a decent lens that would take pictures he will like to look at and show to friends.

Thanks for reading.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes, there is fuji instax wide. an easy to use (ugly) camera and impeccable film. and it's quite cheap as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That looks like a very viable option, tahnk you. Yes unfortunately the camera is awful and looks like a poor man's digital gizmo. Not that the Polaroids of the eighties were terrific to look at, actually.

Does that kind of film pack work only with Fuji Instax? Or can it be used also on some vintage model?
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've recently been playing with both my Folks old 640 (TIP film) and an old 210 (fuji film) and I really prefer the Fuji film/210 results and the pack film is cheaper ($8-11 us vs $23 for the TIP film) However, as you said, the pack cameras are definitely more involved. My biggest issue was learning how to pull that paper tab out without tearing it (I messed up two packs of film before I learned how to do it.) One thing, if you get the camera from FilmPhotographyProject.com it will work right out of the box where as you can't be 100% sure with ebay...I bought a 360 and need to do a battery conversion...nothing wrong with the seller, he was honest and sent that which he advertised (FFP converts the batteries where applicable before they sell the cameras.)

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti View Post
    Does that kind of film pack work only with Fuji Instax? Or can it be used also on some vintage model?
    no, unfortunately not, it's only for the fuji instax wide cameras. but once you've got used to that bulky thing, it is fun indeed.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used the mini instax cameras and they look nice and are easy. I'm not a big fan of how fuji 100c looks but I've heard their b&w stuff is good.
    TIP is really expensive (and not less involved - you've got to cover the film up as it ejects and let it develop face down for a few minutes) but it looks good and I like supporting their initiative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not use something like a Polaroid 104, 210, or even 420?

I've bought Polaroid 420's on eBay for less than $10 before. And there's only 4 controls to learn, and they're pretty self explanatory. They're even numbered 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I can tell you you're not going to find a working pack Polaroid for $10 on the bay anymore. As for the TIP film it is improved....there newer film is not as light sensitive....it's a work in progress .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a shot from two days ago on Impossible film. It's the latest Color Protection formula, and was shot with an SX-70. There is considerable improvement over past formulas.

WranglerPX70 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am a fan and early supporter of the Impossible Project as well, but I wouldn't suggest it to a beginner whose memory recalls of an easy process which gave consistent results. By the way it seems their products are advertised, and priced, as they would fit in the "fashion" department. I see no reason to recommend them as long as they are so much more expensive than Fuji's.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin