Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,477   Online: 1229
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    M Carter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    114

    Pack film for a 4x5 camera?

    I'd really like to shoot the remaining pack films in my 4x5 cambo; I know there's backs for this, but they're $200 and up it seems.

    Has anyone succeeded in adapting, say, an MF back to slide into a 4x5? I know it won't use the whole image area and you'd need to mark the ground glass... wonder if it's been done. Google doesn't return anything, too many hits for discontinued 4x5 products.

    I've adapted a couple 100 land cameras for modern batteries, but i'd like the control and movements of a 4x5... unless there's a pack-film camera solution to look for (tilt, manual controls, and a PC socket for starters...)

  2. #2
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,338
    Images
    225

    Pack film for a 4x5 camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by M Carter View Post
    I'd really like to shoot the remaining pack films in my 4x5 cambo; I know there's backs for this, but they're $200 and up it seems.

    Has anyone succeeded in adapting, say, an MF back to slide into a 4x5? I know it won't use the whole image area and you'd need to mark the ground glass... wonder if it's been done. Google doesn't return anything, too many hits for discontinued 4x5 products.

    I've adapted a couple 100 land cameras for modern batteries, but i'd like the control and movements of a 4x5... unless there's a pack-film camera solution to look for (tilt, manual controls, and a PC socket for starters...)
    The MF pack film backs don't take 4x5 pack film they take a smaller pack film.

    There are plenty of people on here, including a few who will probably give you one for free or trade for some of your film.

    Since they don't make it any more the value for those backs is certainly not $200 anymore.

    Just post a WTB post in the classifieds


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  3. #3
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,338
    Images
    225

    Pack film for a 4x5 camera?

    Oops I read your post wrong... Sorry about that. I have an extra NPC Polaroid pack film back that takes the Fuji100 film that is the smaller kind, not the 4x5 size.

    I can give it to you cheap, I took the back off, so it's just the plastic part but will work great for Halcking a 4x5 setup


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    Just to clarify, there are two sizes of Fuji pack film that can be used/adapted for use on view cameras.
    The two sizes of film use different size backs.

    3.25 X 4.25 Fuji pack is still [freshly] produced: 100 ASA color is FP100C, and 3200 ASA b&w is FP3000B.
    These films use Fuji PA-145, or Polaroid 405 backs. These backs can be purchased used for $40-$75 USD.
    The pack film for these backs cost $6.50-$9.00 per ten (10) shot pack. Less then a dollar a shot.

    *** Production of 4 X 5 Fuji pack film ceased over a year ago. These were FP10045c and FP300045b. ***
    *** Instant pack film can't be frozen for long term storage; the cellophane(?) developing pods can rupture if frozen. ***

    The film backs for 4 X 5 pack film are Fuji's PA-45 or Polaroid's 550.
    Yes, these backs have routinely sold at over $150 USD.
    When produced, 4 X 5 pack film cost $26-$35 USD per ten (10) shot pack. Three dollars a shot.

    Who knows where the price of 4 X 5 pack film film will go now. This is a different scenario then when Polaroid ended production. Polaroid ended 'all' production, 'all' sizes.
    Fuji only discontinued one size (4 X 5), then thinned the herd of available emulsions/film speed in the smaller size.

    Hope that helps,

    Marc

    PS: Oops...Many posts above while I was typing.
    Last edited by Marc B.; 03-01-2013 at 12:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  5. #5
    EASmithV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,874
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Just to clarify, there are two sizes of Fuji pack film that can be used/adapted for use on view cameras.
    The two sizes of film use different size backs.

    3.25 X 4.25 Fuji pack is still [freshly] produced: 100 ASA color is FP100C, and 3200 ASA b&w is FP3000B.
    These films use Fuji PA-145, or Polaroid 405 backs. These backs can be purchased used for $40-$75 USD.
    The pack film for these backs cost $6.50-$9.00 per ten (10) shot pack. Less then a dollar a shot.

    *** Production of 4 X 5 Fuji pack film ceased over a year ago. These were FP10045c and FP300045b. ***
    *** Instant pack film can't be frozen for long term storage; the cellophane(?) developing pods can rupture if frozen. ***

    The film backs for 4 X 5 pack film are Fuji's PA-45 or Polaroid's 550.
    Yes, these backs have routinely sold at over $150 USD.
    When produced, 4 X 5 pack film cost $26-$35 USD per ten (10) shot pack. Three dollars a shot.

    Who knows where the price of 4 X 5 pack film film will go now. This is a different scenario then when Polaroid ended production. Polaroid ended 'all' production, 'all' sizes.
    Fuji only discontinued one size (4 X 5), then thinned the herd of available emulsions/film speed in the smaller size.

    Hope that helps,

    Marc

    PS: Oops...Many posts above while I was typing.
    i'd be very interested for you to reveal the source of the PA-145 for fresh film for that price
    www.EASmithV.com

    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    i'd be very interested for you to reveal the source of the PA-145 for fresh film for that price
    Patience! Where were you four days ago?
    A quick [advanced] search on the auction site shows two backs (a pair), just sold for $50 USD each, w/$8 shipping.
    I bought one, not too long ago right here in the APUG classifieds for $55 USD. (Can't remember the shipping cost).

    From a completed *Bay Auction-25FEB w/only one bidder: Item # 200900867284

    *Note: To be specific, these were the 'Polaroid' 550 backs, not the 'Fuji' PA-145 backs. At this particular, point-and-time,
    (regarding instant pack film photography equipment), the difference between the two backs is basically moot.
    They both get the job done!

    Marc

  7. #7
    EASmithV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,874
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Patience! Where were you four days ago?
    A quick [advanced] search on the auction site shows two backs (a pair), just sold for $50 USD each, w/$8 shipping.
    I bought one, not too long ago right here in the APUG classifieds for $55 USD. (Can't remember the shipping cost).

    From a completed *Bay Auction-25FEB w/only one bidder: Item # 200900867284

    *Note: To be specific, these were the 'Polaroid' 550 backs, not the 'Fuji' PA-145 backs. At this particular, point-and-time,
    (regarding instant pack film photography equipment), the difference between the two backs is basically moot.
    They both get the job done!

    Marc
    not entirely, since only one form of instant peel apart is made
    www.EASmithV.com

    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    not entirely, since only one form of instant peel apart is made
    You don't seem to understand.
    Fuji 3.25 X 4.25, pack-film, works equally well in either the Polaroid or Fuji backs.

    The same goes for using the current 3.25 X 4.25 [Fuji pack] in Polaroid 100-200-300-400 series
    'Land Cameras,' and in all of the Polaroid, 'pack-film' backs used with MF cameras...to this day.
    Especially more so, since 2008 - Polaroid's last bankruptcy.

    Marc

  9. #9
    EASmithV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,874
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    123
    wait,
    you mean you can use the 3.25 x 4.25 films interchangable in either the 4x5 or 3x4 back?
    www.EASmithV.com

    "The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

  10. #10
    limnidytis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    54
    Images
    8
    Get a 405 back - it uses the 3.23x4.25 film - it will crop the 4x5 image some, but the film is cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin