Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,509   Posts: 1,543,567   Online: 1067

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by horacekenneth View Post
    I don't think the two threads repeat each other at all. Most of the responses here seem concerned with the question can instant film be art and the answer is of course. I think where this gets interesting is trying to figure out where artistic instant film fits with fine art.
    Well it doesn't repeat but at least it helps answer some of my questions I've been having.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bits View Post
    Boy is this subject getting deep! Everyday I see stuff that people try to pass off as art. Some good, some not so good, and a lot of it really really bad. Honestly if it's "art" you want to call it, then so be it. Soon enough someone will let you know how good or bad it is.
    And if it comes out looking like "art" more power to you. I can see where some instant film shots could be called art, but very little of it in my opinion.
    Again this brings me to another part of my question, unless the technical as aspect of instant film improves, at it's current state, do you think it's enough for it to be considered fine art?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Until the technical aspect of charcoal improves, do charcoal drawings count as art? When Ingres did his drawings, were they considered art compared to his paintings? They sure are now!
    One thing I think is very interesting is how much art and craft are still tied together in art photography discussion. A great deal of that I believe is inherent to the rather scientific medium, as well as it's influential practitioners ('saint' Ansel). In painting this was jettisoned by a large set of artists through the 20th cen. There are still painters (I was one) who grind their own oil paint, who glaze and stumble on linen supports, but it's no longer a necessary part of what a painting is, merely an aspect that informs the end result. Likewise, fiber based double weight two bath fixed prints, are still an artistic medium, but a Polaroid pinned to the wall, or transferred onto arches, or scanned and blown up can just as well be.
    Is it art? Is still a super fun question. Myself, I lean toward believing in 'works of art' as a document of an artistic enactment, or possibly less palatable, art is a record of performance. I was looking at some of Dijkstra's Portraits the other day and was struck by how much this was a part of it. The act of setting up the camera, interacting just so with a complete stranger and capturing them in a moment of 'self-ness' would have been a beautiful thing whether the camera was loaded with sheet film, Polaroids or nothing at all. The use of large format film, however, gives a delightfully transparent record of the experience. Maybe the perfect medium for the moment, but not the only one.
    Even Worse! Acts and the documents thereof can be rounded up or down by history. Th Gee's Bend quilters probably didn't sit down to be artists, but they've wound up in th public mind that way. Likewise I'm sure some very earnest 17th century guy sat down brush in hand to enact art, but is now regarded as decoration at best.

So, split decision on my part. With hope, I'd say that art is that which you set out with wholehearted artistic intent to bring into the world. More cynically, art is that which patrons will associate their names and money with in the long run.
    sorry for the ramble!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Have you seen David Hockney's Polaroid collages?

http://www.hockneypictures.com/photo..._polaroids.php

What about Mary Ellen Mark's 20x24 Polaroids?

http://www.maryellenmark.com/gallery..._featured.html

Or Joachim Knill's 20x30 Polaroids?

http://www.joachimknill.com/photography.html

Have a look and judge for yourself.

Jonathan
    Then there is Elsa Dorfman to show the other side of the coin.
    http://elsadorfman.com/
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it seems that the discussion about what is art and what is not appears here again, as it appears in other web forums, seminars, conferences, etc. If a can of an artist manure is considered by some art critics or theorists as art, why bother about this issue of instant photography is or is not art.

Early today I decided to work in a project, that I'm convinced that will be art, using Fuji fp3200 instant film. I've been thinking on the concept for a while and spent some time gathering equipment and supplies to produce it. Hope that I'll get what I'm looking at, an art work.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on the intention and how they are received. Please look up Dickie's Institutional Theory of Art.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez View Post
    Well, it seems that the discussion about what is art and what is not appears here again, as it appears in other web forums, seminars, conferences, etc. If a can of an artist manure is considered by some art critics or theorists as art, why bother about this issue of instant photography is or is not art.

Early today I decided to work in a project, that I'm convinced that will be art, using Fuji fp3200 instant film. I've been thinking on the concept for a while and spent some time gathering equipment and supplies to produce it. Hope that I'll get what I'm looking at, an art work.
    It's terrible! It's not at all art!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ^^^ that was supposed to have a smiley face at the end and is meant with sarcasm^^^

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy Warhol thought Polaroid pics are art.

http://www.theseamericans.com/celebr...hol-polaroids/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Andy Warhol thought Polaroid pics are art.

http://www.theseamericans.com/celebr...hol-polaroids/
    Andy Warhol took it to new heights with his polaroid bigshot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin