Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,519   Online: 1018

Shooter
    Multi Format

Belair X 6-12, Yay or nay?

Now that several people here have purchased the Belair 6-12 type cameras, what is your opinion of them?
    Are they worth it? It would be nice if folks posted some of the pics they've taken with them in this forum!
    Will Russian lenses improve their performance? If at all?
    I'm seeing them crop up on ebay now. And I'm not sure about laying out $200-300 for new.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own one and I like it, though I think one needs to be realistic about what it is before purchasing one.

This is a Lomo, i.e. a "toy camera". I know a lot of people were expecting something more with this camera but quite frankly that was incredibly unrealistic. You will get soft images out of the plastic lens. You will more than likely get some light leaks due to the sloppy nature of the take up spool. Focus will be hit or miss at best.

That being said, whether or not it is worth it is totally up to you. I like mine and I've run at least 30+ rolls through it in the time I've owned it. I like the fact that it is incredibly light weight which means I can stick it in a messenger bag and I hardly notice it is there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also own and like my Belair. arealitysudios has it right -- be realistic about what the camera is, and it's fine.

What it is to me: a replacement for the idea of converting a #3A Folding Pocket Kodak camera to use 120 film.

What it is not: competition for any reasonably modern (1950>) folding camera. It is not a Super Ikonta. It is not a Fuji GF670.

The plastic 58mm is basically unusable for straight photography. The decentred softness relegates it to "impressionistic use only." The plastic 90mm is serviceable, but does vignette and get softer in the corners. Results look very much like what I have gotten from a Rapid Rectilinear... again making your expectations closer to the Pocket Kodak than to the Super Ikonta.

I am hopeful about the "Russian" glass. I have made decent photos and movies with Zenit lenses in the past, and expect these new lenses to be serviceable. My goal is simply to get lenses that are good enough for the image to not immediately scream "lo-fi Lomo."
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As the shutter is in the body, has anyone adapted any other lenses to this camera?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well from what I'm seeing, it is awful expensive for a toy camera. For toys I think I'll stick w/ my Brownie hawkeye flash and cheaper polaroids.
    Thanks for the feedback!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin