Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,434   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6x12 Holgas

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    I've been using the 6x12 pinhole Holga for a few years now. The 6x12 format is not ideal for a pinhole camera which calls for a more rectangular format. Fortunately the camera includes a 6x9 mask. The default pinhole is too large for 6x9 (appr. 0.3mm) and I changed to a smaller one (appr. 0.22mm) that gives me much nicer results. Other problems I've had are sloppy film winding mechanism which gives you soft wound rolls that leak light and an inadequate, cheap plastic socket for the release cable.

Mablo, where did you get the replacement pinhole? I have been thinking about getting a better one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    I've been using the 6x12 pinhole Holga for a few years now. The 6x12 format is not ideal for a pinhole camera which calls for a more rectangular format. Fortunately the camera includes a 6x9 mask. The default pinhole is too large for 6x9 (appr. 0.3mm) and I changed to a smaller one (appr. 0.22mm) that gives me much nicer results. Other problems I've had are sloppy film winding mechanism which gives you soft wound rolls that leak light and an inadequate, cheap plastic socket for the release cable.
    In what way is 6x12 less than ideal for pinhole work? Aesthetic or optical/mechanical problems?
    Holgas are famous for their sloppy winding, leading to fat rolls and light leaks. Some people (not me) consider that a feature instead of a problem. I prefer to unload in the dark. I imagine that loose winding would also be exaggerated in 6x12 vs square, softening and distorting the image even more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Freestyle has the Holga 6X12 with the 90mm lens for 49.99 now, so does B&H Photo. That seems to be the cheapest price I've seen. When they came out they were $89.99 so they must have a pile of them to sell.

Shooter
    35mm
    Eddie, Those are lovely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto. Eddie, great work. It once more proves that great vision is far more important than a great camera to create remarkable images.

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently got one, I ordered it from Randy at holgamods.com, just got the stock one with his basic mods. He also does two other versions where he does some major modifications on it, that makes it a completely different camera. Check it out HERE if you like.
    I posted some of my first photographs on my blogsite, "New camera Holga 6x12 Pan, New Photographs "
    It's a great camera, I am glad I finally got one!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did have issues with fat rolls, but I found the problem was related to the spools dimensions, and the paper backing between manufacturers. Measuring with a micrometer, I found that between the dimension did vary, with Fuji Easy-Load spools being the largest. It isn't a lot, but because of the manual winding, with no real mechanical tensioning, I would experience the fat roll, if say I tried to wind it onto a Ilford spool. I now keep a spool from each of the manufacturers in my bag, and switch accordingly. No more problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Holga 6x12 WPC Pinhole, and found yes it is somewhat soft, but not objectionably, and my does vignette slightly on one edge.

Shooter
    35mm
    It appears that the Holga 90 Pan was discontinued. Anyone know if this is the case?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 120 Pan can be made into a first class tool for detailed panoramic work.

http://freepdfhosting.com/b316cbe2ff.pdf

RR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin