Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,185   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x12 Holgas

Shooter
    4x5 Format

6x12 Holgas

I get along very well with my Holga 120N; in fact, I probably do my best work with it. I'd like to try the 6x12 format and wonder about others' experience with the 120 Pan Panchromatic (the 90mm lens version) and the 120 WPC (the pinhole version).

I love Holga's softness and contrast control, but use it (her?) to make images that are more formal than most toy camera work that I see on the web. I do not want any light leaks (I know, that's what tape is for), and only moderate vignetting and minimal film plan bending. Can anyone speak to these attributes regarding either of the two models?

Thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently purchased the 90mm version. I've only put a few rolls through it, but like what I've produced. Here are a few I've hand-colored:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hppath.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	603.6 KB 
ID:	68318

Name:	hp3.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	546.4 KB 
ID:	68321

Name:	primordialstew.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	68320
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hp2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick Robert James has some great work he's done with the pinhole, in the Gallery.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do not have any images scanned but the images from our WPP have heavy vignetting but no light leaks. It is more of a 6 by 10. I do not really see light leaks in our 120M either most of the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    Do not have any images scanned but the images from our WPP have heavy vignetting but no light leaks. It is more of a 6 by 10. I do not really see light leaks in our 120M either most of the time.
    I enjoy the vignetting that get in the square format, but worried that it might be too much in the 6x12, given that the lens is only 10mm longer in focal length. I don't know what a 120M is.

Is it the experience of others that the image size is really closer to 6x10?

Thanks to all who have responded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not had any problems with light leaks in my Holga WPC. I shot it on WPPD a week ago, https://photofying.wordpress.com/201...hotography-day .

However, I have not tried the 6x12 format, but use the 6x9 mask that comes with it.

I have done the HW mod that reduces/removes the vignetting, but I have not shot any 6x12 with it yet to see if it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to try the 6x12 holga too, is the difference between the images made by the pinhole and the one with lens big (besides exposure time)? Also, for the one with the lens, what filter does it take?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've seen Eddie's photos in the gallery and they are more interesting than mine. I originally intended on hand coloring the images from my Holga, but Eddie beat me to it.

I didn't know they made a 6x12 with a lens. I have the WPC, which I bought on a whim a few years ago but just recently started to use, and had to make some modifications to be able to use it the way I wanted. The front area around the pinhole needed to be expanded to get rid of mechanical vignetting. I also filed down the front lip in order to epoxy a 77mm filter ring. The filter needs to be clean if you do this. Any little imperfection, dust, water drop will show up in the photo. I flocked the inside of the film chamber, but ended up taking out the flocking on the long side since it vignetted the image. The short sides are still flocked. I had to epoxy the tripod plate on mine as well since it separated. Finally I had to modify a cable release to fit. All the cable releases I had were too thick next to the nipple to be able to screw far enough in without it falling out. Every modification I made to it was a result of shooting a roll of film and finding a problem. Lots of wasted film. It has been a long road to do something that I thought would be simple! The last mod I need to do is add a shoe so I can use a real level on it. The bubble level on mine is useless which more often than not makes the negs useless. All of this to make images that are low to the ground in wet (waves) conditions. The camera now works really well for what I intended. It has been soaked 5 or 6 times already by waves (salt water). I wouldn't want to subject a real camera to that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These look very fun... I may have to get one of these!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using the 6x12 pinhole Holga for a few years now. The 6x12 format is not ideal for a pinhole camera which calls for a more rectangular format. Fortunately the camera includes a 6x9 mask. The default pinhole is too large for 6x9 (appr. 0.3mm) and I changed to a smaller one (appr. 0.22mm) that gives me much nicer results. Other problems I've had are sloppy film winding mechanism which gives you soft wound rolls that leak light and an inadequate, cheap plastic socket for the release cable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin